success

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bucks Fizz

success

Post by Bucks Fizz »

My first post after reading the site since november.I can honestly say that Etienne's advice greatly helped us to prepare for our appeal. There seems to be a lot of negatives on the site at the moment, so thought I'd post some good news - for us anyway. My heart goes out to anyone still waiting for closure on their situation. Keep going, determination is definitely the name of the game.We had a panel of 3 women, who despite keeping us waiting for 30 mins. was apologetic and made us feel at ease. Nothing negative was said throughout, but then we were pretty comprehensive with our evidence. We had to be, with a 116 / 112. We did engage an Ed Psych., which meant that all our evidence was objective and backed up. We also had bucket loads of other excellent academic evidence, and 100% support from the school. That, plus lots of research, so that we could talk with authority. The LA chap did everything asked of him, and asked us an interesting question at the end - was your child on the schools gifted and talented register? (Answer: no. The school doesn't have one and there is no compulsion for primaries to have one until next September.) It took 2 days for the rsult to come through. It did feel a bit like a lottery, but if you feel you're right, keep going. Talking to friends who have been through it, was also a great help. Good luck, keep positive and if you've given it you best shot and had a fair hearing, remember that there ARE bright children in Upper schools who do very well - yours will, as they've got you behind them on their case! :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Great to hear your success - you are right there are clever children at Upper Schools - about 10% of them have 3 level 5s!!

Most Uppers do a great job - many outperforming Comprehensives BUT not everyone is in the catchment of these schools and there lies the problem.

Our local Upper can not cope with pupils with 3 level 5s who have special needs -
guest20

Post by guest20 »

Guest55

Iwould agree that there are very few schools that can cope with SEN children with a high IQ (140+) - even grammars!
Bucks Fizz

success

Post by Bucks Fizz »

I do agree with you there. And thats why the whole issue of 11+ is so stressful. But I do believe that parents have to try and get the best out of the system for their child, and that sometimes means making a consideable fuss. GET INVOLVED in education. Don't leave it up to the hard pressed teachers. If Upper schools were better funded it would help. Nobody said life is easy.
Bucks Fizz

Success

Post by Bucks Fizz »

Dear Guest20,
Surely the appeals process is designed to help children with SEN 140+ get into grammars? And then its a case of getting the grammar to understand your childs needs and find the resources to help them. If they're statemented, then that shouldn't, in theory, be a problem. Are you going through the appeals process at the moment?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Funding formula for Uppers is the same as for Grammars - the difference is smaller now. Yes the Grammars have bigger Sixth Forms and get the funding for that [per pupil] but Uppers get extra funding for their lower ability pupils [below level 4] and for SEN.

Some Grammars do have wealthy ex-pupils who support the school but not the majority...

Some Grammars are good with SEN - as someone who taught in a Grammar this was very high on our agenda and praised by Ofsted.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Bucks Fizz

Thanks so much for your kind words, and I was very pleased to hear your good news.

Congratulations!
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now