moving to area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dissapointed mum

moving to area

Post by dissapointed mum »

Hello to any Dorset parent out there,
I was wondering what sort of paper is sat in the Dorset area, as its a possibility we are moving to Bournemouth, and we may be able to take a late entrance test to the grammar school so just want to find out what the nature of the papers are.
Would appreciate any help
Thanks very much
DM

Post by Guest »

Hi DM,
I've been following the Buckinghamshire appeals threads and was very sorry to see that your appeal was unsuccessful last week, it must feel very raw still at the moment.

Bournemouth is of course very different to the Bucks system as there are only 2 grammars, one boys and one girls and each determines it's own admission as they are both foundation schools. However, there are also good alternative schools so Grammar is not the be-all and end-all that it seems to be for parents in Bucks.

The only concern I would have if I were you is that passing a late transfer test will not guarantee a Grammar school place as your child will only be considered after all the first round of applicants have been allocated. May be it would be a good idea to contact the school directly to discuss your move/ entry? I'm sure they can tell you what has happened in the past when children move into the area during Year 6.

Best of luck for whatever you decide for your plan B. I'm sure your child will thrive with your support wherever he/she is.

Post by Guest »

Sorry, I just realised I didn't answer your question:
There are papers in: English (essay writing); English (comprehension); Maths and Verbal reasoning. I'm sure the school will give you more details.

Post by Guest »

I totally understand your dissapointment at not getting through on appeal,but I think it is a bit drastic to consider moving because of this.Don't you think your child has been through enough without compounding the issue with the upheaval of a move and another round of tests with no gaurentee of securing a place at the end of it. You may think you are doing the best for your child ,but I don't think in years to come they will thank you if you follow this path.

Post by Guest »

I don't think Disappointed Mum implied she was moving BECAUSE of the Bucks result - one should not leap to unwarranted conclusions!!!

Post by Guest »

Don't think I could ever consider a house move as being convenient!! They always seem pretty stressful to me.

Some children manage the tests better in some areas than others because of the variation in the types of test - see for example the post in Lincolnshire about Caistor Grammar misinformation; or posts from people whose children pass Berks but failed Bucks and vice versa.

It still amazes me that people jump to conclusions about other's motives and intentions without any evidence whatsoever about these.

Post by Guest »

It might be that her parent has been offered a job in Bournemouth - nothing to do with trying to get into a grammar school by moving! It might be they have the opportunity of relocating and were trying to find out some details about the education system there. Some of the Dorset parents seem to be jumping on poor disappointed mum without justification.
usa

Post by usa »

Hi DM
Whilst others have a rant and a rave, all I can advise you, is the little I know about the area/school. You have about a 1 in 3 chance of getting in.
The exams are Nfer and will also cover the English, Maths (VR already practised for). He will sit as a late entrant, whenever that would be and yes, you will need to show some proof of address as to where you will be living. I do not think BGS has a cachment area as such, but a Bucks address will not suffice. Also, should he pass, he will go on a W/L -I am really not sure how quickly this moves - as he will be a late sitter.
Definately worth ringing the school for info, and it sounds like you know the area (nice place to live!), but, beware of 2nd choices if he doesnt get his 1st - I know Dorset Parent had a bit to say on this. Good luck with whatever you decide - it is always worth persuing several options - we did and I am glad we did, too! Let us know how you get on.
USA
dissapointed mum

To which ever guest is supporting me, thank you very much, its much appreciated.
To the guest who is jumping to conclusions and commenting about a situation they know nothing about, I suggest you wait for the facts before snidy comments are made.
For your information supportive guest is correct.
My familys future is based not on the fact we did not get through an appeal in Bucks, this has been on the cards for a while and had we got through appeal we would still be in the position of possibly relocating, whether it be Dorset or elsewhere. You do not know our circumstances, and reasons as I did not publicise them on this forum, as they are personal. For your information I am also interested in St Peters Catholic school, not just the Grammar, I am fully looking into all schools in the area we will possibly be living. Whatever our decisions are ,they, are made for the benefit of our whole family not just for one individual member. It is a huge decision to make to move from an area you have lived in for many years, to start again and having to make new friends,acquaintances etc, and its not a decision one takes lightly, and just becasue you dont get a school you want. If you really think I would relocate from where I am very happy to somewhere I have no friends or family just because of a Grammar school place, then you need your head read!
I am not desparate, I am looking at all angles that is best suited for my entire family.
DM :x
dissapointed mum

Hi USA
Thanks for your info. I dont know the area fantastically only from what we have been looking at regarding my husbands work as to where we will possibly be. I have already spoken to the education dept at Bournemouth CC and they have sent me relevant info regarding the schools. I have so much to do in respect of looking at schools. Its a possbilitiy that my son could get into the Grammar, Im not holding out fora place though due to being so late and spaces will probably be already allocated, but I have to investigate all possibilities. I really like the look of the Catholic School too and its OFSTED report is fantastic, so that one is a possibility for us too. So no , Grammar is not the B all and end All ,you just have to look to what is best suited to your child and go for it.
I followed your posts alot too when you were waiting for results, and I wish you all the best for the following years in the Bucks system.
DM :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now