VERY LATE TESTER

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Midget Man

VERY LATE TESTER

Post by Midget Man »

I almost wasn'teven going to bother posting on here for fear of being laughed and sniggered at but changed my mind as you can see.

I had obviously heard of an 11+ test but had no idea of when these were to be taken etc etc. I had looked on Grammar School website's which gave no information on deadlines etc and no information or advice was offered from the middle school, so I just assumed(wrongly) that it would just be done when you receive the information on secondary school's in the new term. I was in Spain and then in hospital the beginning of September. My son came home with the secondary forms so thought I would phone Bucks County(something I now know I should have done along time ago) to be told we had missed the deadline?!! I had no idea and was now so annoyed with myself. I had to send evidence of Spain and my hospital admision and they granted him a late test on appeal due to circumstance's. Got the familiarisation pack then a few day's later discovered the date of testing, he had THREE WEEKS TO THE DATE OF TEST to completely learn everything!! I had in those few day's discovered from here and other site's that people are generally revising/learning technique's for atleast 8 months to a year beforehand!

So, my son has done extremely well so far with the extremely little time he's had, but I know everyone including myself, would not think for minute that it's possible for him to get even near to passing after such a short amount of time, plus there was no private tutoring.

I know you will probably all laugh at me but I just had no idea and did not know of anyone who was going through the process either. I have two other children so good new's is that I will be prepared if they prove to be GS material.

Would you advise an OOC doing the 12+? I should imagine there really would not be much point! The good thing though is that the secondary school's in my catchment are outstanding Ofsted, but I just felt the environment of a GS would better suit my son.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Just to add that he has his second test this Saturday, he finished in good time on the first test which in itself I find quite remarkable!! lol

Would anyone be able to advise on when we would be likely to have the result's back? I know the majority find out this Friday 20th, but just wondered how long for result's on test's sat at slightly later dates?

Thank-you

Charlie
*** CONFUSED !!! ***

Post by *** CONFUSED !!! *** »

Hi Midget Man

Just read your post, and although I can't help much, I just wanted to say that I, for one, am most certainly not laughing or sniggering at you. I don't think other people on here would be either.

I can really empathise with you.

From personal experience, I found that "out there in the school playground" parents seem to be really "hush hush" about things.

Personally I didn't even know about the existence of the exam system for entrance to secondary schools until a few months ago, yet I have been going to my child's school to collect my child EVERY day for over 6 years! Not once in 6 years did another parent mention a thing !!!

Wishing you and of course your child, the most sincere of best luck :-)
Knowledge is power

mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Sorry no answers to your questions either. Just wanted to wish you and the boy the best of luck. I do hope he proves that it is possible to pass without extensive tuition. :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I am in Kent so don;t know much about Bucks. I'll flag this up for Patricia who does know!

Plus will move this post to Bucks section where you may get more replies
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Well he would certainly be an example to keep an eye when research is involved if he ever did pass!! :lol:
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Hi - I hope a moderator sees this and maybe moves your post into the "Bucks" section as I think you may get more help there for your area. In my area we dont do the 12+ but a child can be reviewed at that age and if work good enough can be moved to grammar.

Unless you actually have close friends at the school I have found the 11plus is not generally talked about. Even if your child is very bright the teachers often leave it up to the parents to raise the topic before they tell you if they feel your child stands a good chance at it.

Dont write your child off yet, as you say he did not have much preparation time but some kids with masses of potential do pass in such circumstaces, though i do agree that so many kids are being tutored that the "bench-mark" so to speak is raised.

I really wish you and your child luck. If you have some good secondary schools and you follow his education closely then he may do just as well there. Grammars have their advantages but also a few disadvantages too.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

ah see how good they are here, already moved to right section! :lol:
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Thanks for being so lovely everyone, I have stopped beating myself up over not knowing sooner and feel bad that he has extra pressure to learn everything, but he didn't crumble on his first test and came out smiling so I am extremely proud of him for that regardless :)

We do take a very keen interest in his education, so hopefully he will continue to want to achieve and have that drive throughout his life whether that be GS or secondary.
moved

Post by moved »

It is certainly possible to pass with very little preparation. Plenty of children have managed. The very able can pass with no preparation at all. Four papers are needed for most children to make significant improvement. After that progress is much slower.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now