Entry into TOGS at year 8

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Entry into TOGS at year 8

Post by moved »

Does anyone know how possible this would be? Due to a variety of reasons I am wondering about moving to Tonbridge.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't know what your chances are at TOGS, but I have learned from various places on this website that your rights will be as follows:

- to apply to the school and go on their waiting list. Their waiting list will be done according to the school's admissions criteria, so as it is superselective it will be held in some way according to score

- if your daughter has not done the Kent 11+. and maybe even if she has, there will be an admissions test for entry to Year 8

- if you are refused a place you have the right to appeal (you have this right each and every year)

You then need to look at all the advice on the appeals thread, and maybe write in there for extra help

Also, see what the school themselves says to you, and get their official bumph on entry to the school outside the standard timeframe. But bear in mind that some school's are not very helpful in this regard and may not tell you the full truth in order to put you off trying.

Are you considering Weald of Kent also?
moved

Post by moved »

Thank you for your help.
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

You may stand a better chance in year 9 at TGS as they sometimes lose a couple to Cranbrook school (which is a 13+ entry grammar school). Girls do leave at other times though but I imagine it's unpredictable. Your best bet is probably to phone the school and ask.
moved

Post by moved »

Thanks, cannot do year 9. DS has the opportunity to start in Tonbridge in September so I would need a place for DD then. It looks like we will stay here as when I spoke to the school today we would need to take a place when it came up. Will wait and see. DC will be happier to stay put anyway.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Don't forget to appeal if you really want a place there as a place may never come up off the waiting list. And appealing does not stop you being on the waitng list too. If they have already admitted girls over and above standard numbers via appeals, then strictly speakin they cannot admit from the list until they have dropped back to standard numbers. Another good reason to appeal.
moved

Post by moved »

The school were very friendly. The process would be:
1. Apply for a place
2. Sit exam in February
3. Placed on waiting list according to exam score
4. Hope for a place (some have been on the waiting list for years)
5. Appeal for a place

I had wondered about renting for the rest of this academic year and then moving DC into Tonbridge schools. Not looking highly possible now. So stay here and hope I can find somewhere I like to live and DH can sulk.
mystery

Post by mystery »

How do they operate the waiting list for in-county children versus out of county children?

You can appeal every year. Are they saying they have spaces currently in Year 8 which the Feb test is to fill, or is the Feb test just because that is the soonest they can administer it to your daughter?

If you are really wanting this school, and are thinking about appealing, use the appeals forum too for some advice from Etienne etc. It could be that living close to the school (or proving that you have to live in Tonbridge in the future for work reasons or some other compelling reason) would help your appeal, as you would then be able to argue that this is the only school suitable for a child of your daughter's academic ability.

Is it only the superselective in Tonbridge that interests you? If not, you could crack on with trying to get a place at Weald of Kent Grammar school in Tonbridge too?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now