Would You Fall Out Over things?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stressedaddy

Would You Fall Out Over things?

Post by stressedaddy »

Two very interesting things have happened to us over the last week or two

1) Parent in play ground found out that my son took the exam last week. She struck up a conversation whilst I was waiting for my son after school, and she started asking me about how the exam went. I knew from other parents, that her daughter hadn't taken the test yet, taking it on the 16th. Asked many questions, some quite direct, to which I said that since her daughter hadn't take the test, it would be inappropriate for me to comment until after the 16th. She really got angry and quite abrupt about the whole thing. Now she's ignoring my wife and some other parents at the school. I didn't realise that it would be such a big deal

2) A parent that we know whose son got into Camphill (last year) had a parent who fell out with them because her son didn't get the end of year 6 Maths prize, the other chap did instead. Now the mother has fallen out and ignores them, even though both boys are Camphil and were best friends, although not anymore.

Pettiness leads to some big fall outs.

Has it happended to you.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

hopeless isn't it! amazoing how people with behave, I think they make a career out of falling out

I reckon mum number 1 is just stressed out and wishes it was all over.....
nmf

Not all the same.

Post by nmf »

I would hate to think that if I asked another parent how their child found the first test, that they would assume I was fishing for information.

My DC sat the exam earlier today. (Out of the country for the last 10 days). Having to sit the exam later has actually been a complete inconvenience as DC went completely off the boil before trip. 11+ last thing on his mind.

It is very sad that some parents will seek to gain advantage from sitting children later, but please do not assume we are all up to that game
fm

Post by fm »

I am very much afraid that this lady was fishing and you gave what seems a polite but appropriate reply.

She became angry because the other choice would, quite rightly, be shamefaced for attempting to cheat in this way.

I tutor for grammar school and, before the tests, I shall do pretty much anything to help my pupils get an edge. But I wouldn't dream of doing this after the exam and before the sick exam because it is cheating, plain and simple.

And the joke is, as NMF has said, any advantage to doing the sick exam is eroded by the possible disadvantages of doing it later--a less than quiet venue if it is still being done at Five Ways during a school day, an increase in anxiety having heard the exam was very hard from friends or possibly a false sense of security when bravado makes some children say it is easy, a loss of momentum, having missed the day to which you have been building.
stressedaddy

Post by stressedaddy »

I assume the test on the 16th is the final one. Just heard from our school that a child who was to re-sit today has swine flu symptoms. Would he/she be entitiled to a special examption and be able to resit? Or, is the 16th the final rounds of tests and no more, regardless of circumstances.
fm

Post by fm »

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this one because I have never heard of it happening. In fact, I have never had a pupil miss the first exam.

I've certainly heard of a child still suffering from bronchitis going in to do the second exam so possibly they are very strict on this.
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

My son told me that a lad in his class who missed BV got most of the questions verbatim from his classmates before he eventually sat the 'sick' test!!

As for petty, arguing parents - how silly are they? I think that you behaved appropriately in the situation.
um

Post by um »

i have no problem with the parents - as none of them ever speak to me :D
stressedaddy

Post by stressedaddy »

i have no problem with the parents - as none of them ever speak to me

But some of the things the kids say are a bit strange. one boy asked my son if he liked English people or Pakistani people. My son replied that he liked both. the boy then said - Well do you know the Pakistanis are flooding the place, swarming the place - there will soon be no English left!

very strange comment there - especially as
1) british pakistanis account for less than 2% of the population and
2)my son is half pakistani origin, although clearly the boy has not yet realised that...
Sorry, but I don't quite see the relavence of this post, and personally, ignorance of children works both ways. I work in areas where children born in this country have a problem speaking english and refuse to mix with other children. This comes from me, and I an indian.
BrummyMummy

Post by BrummyMummy »

stressedaddy wrote:I assume the test on the 16th is the final one. Just heard from our school that a child who was to re-sit today has swine flu symptoms. Would he/she be entitiled to a special examption and be able to resit? Or, is the 16th the final rounds of tests and no more, regardless of circumstances.
Not sure if this is usual, but my DD was allowed to sit in the New Year a few years ago as she was in hospital in November (badly broken leg).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now