Please help with a letter sequence!

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Complete Novice

Please help with a letter sequence!

Post by Complete Novice »

I have been looking at the verbal reasoning downloads for Pates in Cheltenham (just for extra material) and have come across a sequence I can't see the answer for:

HI IH HJ JH (?) (?)

Multiple choice answers: GJ FI JG IF FH HF

I haven't checked the answers on their website yet but don't think the answer will shed any light on it for me anyway. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
CN
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

are there 2 unknowns?

my first reaction is HK KH but that isn;t one of the choices..
Milla

Post by Milla »

why don't you have a check, post it up and then we can frown and puzzle over it. I know the site you mean, but it'd be easier for you to look up the answer since you know which question and which answer.
one thing I would say about that set of papers is that there was a disappointing number of errors / anomalies / could be anythings in there.
Complete Novice

Sorry, I didn't mean to be pain with the answers, I just assumed I was being deeply dim and that it would be something obvious I had missed. The answers are FI and IF.

I too had initially assumed it would be HK and KH and then perhaps JG and GJ as if the sequence were somehow taking turns to progress itself in either direction but I cannot see FI and IF. I really hope this is an error as with 48 hours until DS's test, it feels a bit late to discover a whole new species of sequence!

Many thanks for your help

CN
Milla

Post by Milla »

Nope, I can't make any sense of that one! I'm thinking that perhaps I did when I did it, but possibly I just tutted and muttered, "rubbish." Tell you son that any like that, just guess. Everybody else will be.
If anyone can work out the thinking, would love to know!
PS don't let this last minute blip upset you - it's just a silly question!
Good luck to him in the exam.
Complete Novice

Thanks Milla. Yes I think it's definitely a "guesser" question. DS isn't too nervous, I think he is just desperate for it all to be over and revert to some semblance of normal life. I on the other hand feel absolutely terrified. Roll on Friday evening!
CN
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now