Anyone else do mock exam in Sheen on 7 Nov - freaking out!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Thisismadness

Anyone else do mock exam in Sheen on 7 Nov - freaking out!

Post by Thisismadness »

I just wondered if anyone else took this exam and can share - my son got below average and the average sounded pretty low - was it an incredibly hard paper? It's hard to tell from looking at it as I'm useless at maths and the comprehension doesn't honestly look that bad.
Thea

Post by Thea »

Sorry to be cynical - (I actually asked a question about this in the Surrey Forum) but if this is run by a tutor company (?), are they making the exams harder to get more business? I was wondering if if was worth doing as we are in that area, but I thought the exams were in Dec - so maybe not same company.
Best Regards,
Thea
Thisismadness

Post by Thisismadness »

It may be the same - there's another one on 5th December. I'm hoping you're right to be cynical! My DS was doing pretty well generally, particularly on maths and essays, and this has deflated my confidence (I haven't given him the results yet but it will knock his confidence too).
Thea

Post by Thea »

did you get detailed feedback/suggestions for areas to work on?
Best Regards,
Thea
mumoffour

Post by mumoffour »

My children have done these mock exams and found them very useful. Due to the timing, Thea's cynicism is misplaced. The exams run in early Nov and early Dec of year 6 - children who are having tutoring there (like mine were) will have been going since the start of year 5 - it is far too late in the day to be trying to drum up extra business. Feedback is honest, constructive and objective and in my opinion makes the exams well worthwhile.