Independent schools' interviews; are they important?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sj355

Independent schools' interviews; are they important?

Post by sj355 »

I am suddenly quite unclear how important the interview stage is to an ID school for deciding which pupils to actually accept once they are through the test. I know this differs from school to school. But if for example one is invited for an interview at HABS or MT what is the pass rate at that stage? Are there any boys out there that were invited for an interview at these two schools and did not get an offer? If this is the case do they explain why?

INEX
sj355
je

habs

Post by je »

my older boy did the habs interview 3 years ago and got offered a place but not a scholarship.

Boy no. 2 just finished all the tests and interviews. Was told before that the interviews are to suss out scholarship material. It'd be interesting to see what happens as habs know that our first son has gone to QE. Boy no. 2 also had a shot at the music scholarship at Habs which boy no. 1 did not get a chance to do even tho he was a high grade(5).

I have no idea of the nos. who sat or got thru Habs /interview or no interview. Be great if others knew.
sj355

Re: habs

Post by sj355 »

[quote="je"]my older boy did the habs interview 3 years ago and got offered a place but not a scholarship.

ARE YOU REFERRING TO THE SCHOLARSHIPS OFFERED TO ANYONE IRRESPECTIVE OF FINANCIAL CIRCUMSTANCES?

Boy no. 2 just finished all the tests and interviews. Was told before that the interviews are to suss out scholarship material.

BY WHOM?

It'd be interesting to see what happens as habs know that our first son has gone to QE.

THAT IS DEFINETELY INTERESTING TO SEE. PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED. MY SON ALSO HAD THE INTERVIEW AT HABS AND FEELS IT WENT OK.

I KNOW THAT MORE THAN 500 BOYS SAT THE TEST. HOW MANY WENT THROUGH I DO NOT KNOW. I WAS JUST CURIOUS WHETHER THE INTERVIEW STAGE ALSO HAS AN ELIMINATING NATURE IN IT AS THE TEST DOES.
sj355
je

habs

Post by je »

yes the scholarship that is open to all. apparently no special application necessary...if you score very well in your written tests, they will want to entice you to come!!! This ,i was told by the person who assessed my son 3 years ago. She had said that the mental maths questions they ask at the interview stage is a test for scolarship material. My older one thought he did very well at that interview. He had a scholarship offered by another ID and we think its because they knew he was being offered a place a Habs(consortium thing) and they wanted him to come to their school. The games schools play.. no, seriously, I think they just want to make sure they make all the offers thay can.

My second son said that the mental maths question he was asked was quite straightforward and he was asked to explain how he derived his answer.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

My son was not asked any mental maths questions. He showed them a powerpoint presentation he had done recently as homework for the talented and gifted sessions in maths at Barnet and they looked at it. The discussion then moved to his favourite book that he had brought with him and as to why he will never read the last page of this book (it is a very long story...). Then he was given a passage to read from another book and was asked what some of the words meant; he found it quite easy although English is not his strong subject.

If I had known it was for the scholarship I would have prepared him a bit before. Even a small reduction in the fees would make a world of a difference to us. However given that they asked no maths questions may very well mean his is not even conssidered for a scholarship. Oh, well...

INEX

je wrote:yes the scholarship that is open to all. apparently no special application necessary...if you score very well in your written tests, they will want to entice you to come!!! This ,i was told by the person who assessed my son 3 years ago. She had said that the mental maths questions they ask at the interview stage is a test for scolarship material. My older one thought he did very well at that interview. He had a scholarship offered by another ID and we think its because they knew he was being offered a place a Habs(consortium thing) and they wanted him to come to their school. The games schools play.. no, seriously, I think they just want to make sure they make all the offers thay can.

My second son said that the mental maths question he was asked was quite straightforward and he was asked to explain how he derived his answer.
sj355
je

habs

Post by je »

Well. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't know much about privte schools admission criteria..not like state schools where we get lots in black and white. Maybe your son did so well in his papers,there was no need to test him further.

We did not prepare our son for the interview other than remind him to be polite and to speak clearly. He had enough of testing by the time of the interview. English was easy and nothing special. The maths question was about percentages and something he had already covered in his prepaartion and nothing an 11+ candidate would find difficult.

Good Luck. The wait is UGH!! hence the uncertainties.. did he really do ok or....

Post by Guest »

Good luck to your son as well for HABS and for QE if he has taken the exam for the latter (mine has).

I know the wait is ****. My husband had started painting all the house to do something to help him overcome his nervousness. The only one oblivious and completely unworried by it all is my son.

All the best,
INEX

Good Luck. The wait is UGH!! hence the uncertainties.. did he really do ok or....[/quote]
guest7

Post by guest7 »

I can only go on MTs 13+ experience but assume it's the same at 11. MTs interview before examinations. Boys are then given one of three letters a) a conditional offer asking them sit the exams, b) telling them they are welcome to take the exams but you might like to look at other schools which may be more suitable or c) they don't think that MTs is the right school for your son.

The interviews are important as they are the first stage to even being allowed to sit the exams. However, it's important that your child is 'himself' as it's the only way the school knows if it's the right fit. They want the child to be happy and to do well. They can also spot a child who has been coached a mile off. The boys need to take it seriously and show true enthusiasm for the school.

Boys sometimes do pass the interview and are given a conditional offer but fail the exam. Boys also sometimes fail to meet the exam criteria but are still offered a place if they have shown that certain 'spark' at interview.

As for Scholarships, you have to be recommended by your previous Head and provided you do well enough in your exams are invited to a second interview.
Sally

Waiting but urgent need for decoration

Post by Sally »

Dear Guest,

When you husband has finished painting your house do you think I can borrow him for mine? I can do a swap for my lazy bone one?

Re: habs; he was asked a mental maths question after all!!

Post by Guest »

Further to my previous message it seems that HE was actually asked a mental maths question after all!! I asked him a minute ago and he said yes, but he found it so straighforward it did not even register in his mind. (it actually was).

INEX

[quote="Anonymous"]Good luck to your son as well for HABS and for QE if he has taken the exam for the latter (mine has).

I know the wait is ****. My husband had started painting all the house to do something to help him overcome his nervousness. The only one oblivious and completely unworried by it all is my son.

All the best,
INEX
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now