Leraning Together and AE NVR

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ang's mom

Leraning Together and AE NVR

Post by Ang's mom »

How does the Learning Together and AE books for NVR seem in terms of complexity, when compared with Bond and Nfer ones?
Are they easier than the Bond 10-11+ ones or are they more complex?

Thanks.
stevew61

Re: Leraning Together and AE NVR

Post by stevew61 »

Ang's mom wrote:How does the Learning Together and AE books for NVR seem in terms of complexity, when compared with Bond and Nfer ones?

Thanks.
Not sure I can rank them but this is how I have used them. :)

Bond Books good for starting have age graded books. AE good for "How to do book" simple step by step guide. Bond "How to Do" useful as a second opinion if you get stuck. :lol:

Nfer only produce four papers, so cover a wide range including very hard.

Have a look at the e-papers on this site, the three elevenplusexams papers are good quality.

CGP papers some sections are a bit odd, rotating images.

IPS seemed ok, not looked at them for a while but just checked a sample paper on the web.

Not as much NVR as VR on the market.

steve
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Thanks Steve :)

I was particularly concerned about the NVR Multiple Choice Books in AE and Learning Together, as opposed to the How to do books.

I have already bought most of the Bond books and my daughter isn't doing too bad on the 10-11 plus NVR one. I was wondering, whether I should go for the 11-12plus NVR ones also or would that be overkill ? Do you have experience using them?

If the Learning Together /AE ones are simpler compared to the Bond 10-11 plus ones then it wouldnt be of much use to me.

I would be definitely having a look at the elevenplusexams e-paper.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

NVR Multiple Choice Books in AE and Learning Together
Sorry no experience.
Bond books and my daughter isn't doing too bad on the 10-11 plus NVR one. I was wondering, whether I should go for the 11-12plus NVR
If she is enjoying it go for it. :lol:

I do have but not used Bond 11-12+ NVR. we moved on to papers (in sections) half-way through the 10-11+ book as DS was getting a bit bored. :) The gradual grading in Bond makes them a bit easier than a more mixed paper.

Just a thought Bond do nets of cubes, good for spatial awareness but in some nfer regions do not come up so don't get stressed by them. AE aimed at Slough/Reading/London? Nfer do not have nets. :)

I use the AE how to do book as a progress guide as it lists question types and shows for each type the five levels of complexity, we go back to it when we hit a problem section..... :roll:

NVR can be learned (and forgotten), also more affected by tiredness than other subjects IMHO.

steve
Irene+

Post by Irene+ »

Ang's mom wrote:How does the Learning Together and AE books for NVR seem in terms of complexity, when compared with Bond and Nfer ones?

Thanks.
Hi

I think the Learning Together books are easy than Bond tests (not assessments) and NFER tests and can be compared to AFN.
They also have "strange" tasks like "how many squares are in the following shape?", "complete table", and even VR-style sequences. So I'm not sure if Learning Together NVR is relevant :?
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Yes, the nets of cubes section is a touch and go. I will have to study it, before I can help her with it. Thankfully Nfer doesnt have them, I hope they dont creep it in the next year.

The AE "how to do book" sounds good. I didnt buy any of the how to do books, as my daughter/myself seemed alright without them. Maybe I will go back and have a look at them again.

The bit that NVR can be forgotten sounds scary.
Tiredness definitely affects the NVR score and I try to do it in the beginning and get it out of the way, if we are going to study for around an hour so.
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Irene+ wrote: Hi

I think the Learning Together books are easy than Bond tests and NFER tests and can be compared to AFN.
They also have "strange" tasks like "how many squares are in the following shape?", "complete table", and even sequences. So I'm not sure if Learning Together NVR is relevant :?
Thanks Irene :)
Thats very helpful.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I don;t find teh learning together as good as some of teh others, I tend to just use pieces as extra practice.

I do like the EPE download and E-papers.

AE tuition is very good for taking you through it systematically.

Bond also do a book of puzzles to encourage visual skills
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

yoyo123 wrote:I don;t find teh learning together as good as some of teh others, I tend to just use pieces as extra practice.

I do like the EPE download and E-papers.

AE tuition is very good for taking you through it systematically.

Bond also do a book of puzzles to encourage visual skills
Thanks yoyo..So from the downloads, the elevenplusexams epaper sounds like a definite must buy.

Do you have any experience using the AE multiple choice tests.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of the Bond puzzle books. Did a quick search and saw how the cover looks. Are they recommended ?
atestingtime

Post by atestingtime »

DS3 is in Y5 and I have used the new Bond NVR puzzle book with him as an intro to the ideas / subject - if you have already started papers i think it would be a bit irrelevant. They are very wordy for a visual based subject area.

I too have found the IPS / CGP papers somewhat confusing in the past and agree with previous posts that you do run out of good NVR questions before you do VR ones....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now