For anyone who doesn't pass

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
spottycat

For anyone who doesn't pass

Post by spottycat »

I feel for those children and parents who don't meet the required pass mark in the 11+. I've taught in Gloucestershire secondary schools for over 20 years, I currently teach at a Grammar in the county but have previously taught at a number of Comps and done supply in various schools. I also have three children, the eldest two are at grammars and my youngest is at a comp. I didn't prepare my eldest two for the 11+ but ironically did go through the paper with my youngest at home. DC3 is very happy at school. although the difference between there and the grammar schools is, obviously noticeable, the work is not as rigorous even though DC3 is in the top sets. I've still been impressed. If the local comp. is a bit grim it's worth looking around at schools a bit further afield - falling numbers might give parents greater choice of school. I know how you feel if your child doesn't pass, but all is not lost, there are some really good comprehensive schools in Gloucestershire. :)
Thirdtimer

Post by Thirdtimer »

Spottycat
This will probably be us later today.
2 older children are currently at GS but DS3 will probably not pass.
Very hard on him although we are lucky in that we are one of the fortunate ones who do have a good comp as a fall back. Although bright, because he has some minor literacy issues, we feel a grammar probably isn't the school for him but try convincing him of that.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Thanks Spootycat for posting your experience.Only having the one DS I cannot pretend I know what it is like to have children with different talents,but I imagine it can be a challenging thing to handle.
At least we are lucky in Gloucestershire to have some excellent comprehensives,although again this depends on where you live.

GM
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Its a funny old world, Thirdtimer don't take anything as written.

DS1 had issues and criused in to Grammar, DS2 is v. bright no issues and yet hasn't scored nearly as well :? .

It is tricky handling the situation between siblings in a way that keeps their self esteem fully intact.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I'd agree with Spotty.

There are (at least around Stroud) some very good comps. Not every school will suit every child, but there were certainly some that we would have been happy for DD1 to go to, and DD2 as well next year.
Capers
Thirdtimer

Post by Thirdtimer »

As expected - DS3 didn't pass (but thanks for the encouragment Tolstoy). Although he came out of the test fairly optomistic, he is also enough of a realist to know his limitations and wasn't too surprised with the outcome. But at least he tried his best and only entered because he wanted to rather than be pushed into it by us.
Like you Capers, we are near Stroud and should he should get into TK so are not disappointed.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Great attitude Thirdtimer, likewise your DS. He gave it his best shot and you gave him the opportunity so no regrets.

Don't know the Stroud area but Grammars aren't the only good schools.

We have an excellent comp in the Forest but too far for us to get into.

p.s
(but thanks for the encouragment Tolstoy).
ever the optomist just need to give myself a bit of my own advice :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now