DS Lite games

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Villagedad

DS Lite games

Post by Villagedad »

Hi all

Am thinking of getting our 8 year old a DS Lite for Christmas and wondered which games you would recommend for his age with regards to maths and general puzzle type games that will be fun and help him with long term 11plus prep.

I have come across the following but would like to hear which people have used and which they'd recommend:

Professor Kageyama's Maths Training
Clever Kids: Maths
Professor Layton and The Curious Village
Maths Play
Junior Brain Trainer

Many thanks
Villagedad
Thea

Post by Thea »

DSL fun occasionally for recreation, but best exercise for his brain is palying outside a lot with his friends.
Best Regards,
Thea
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Hi,

There's also Professor Layton and Pandora's Box. I think the DS is great. If you have a Wii, you could look at Cranium Kabooki which exercises the old grey matter and is great fun at the same time.

I don't think for an instant that you are suggesting using consoles in lieu of physical exercise. I find them particularly useful during car/plane journeys for keeping boredom at bay.

Have fun!
Last edited by First-timer on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

brain training is excellent
Floss

Post by Floss »

I'd also recommend Professor Layton, good fun
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Buy yourself Mario so you can play it when DC'S at school - you can't beat it! :wink:
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

I agree - super mario. All games are fun and I was suitably obsessive about playing them when they first arrived in the house. No educational content but fun.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My two love Mario Cart on the Wii and have spent many a happy hour playing on it with neighbours' children. Great for social interaction!
Lass

Post by Lass »

I always thought it would be useful to have an actual 11+ based game (VR and NVR) for the DS. I'm sure kids would be much more keen to practice if they were doing it on the DS!

Junior brain training is excellent, although my children have always done the adult versions too and whilst they dont get a good brain age because it's a bit harder for them and so they are slower, it's not outside their capabilities.