Should I appeal - mitigating circumstances

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hangi

Should I appeal - mitigating circumstances

Post by Hangi »

Our DS got 115 yesterday - he is mortified! :cry:

We had been living overseas for over 3 years, but was told in Sept we were to be coming back to the UK and DS had to sit 11+ exams. He sat them overseas in 1 day to ensure the papers got back to Bucks in time.

Been in Bucks for 2 weeks now and DS wants to go to appeal. Have sent an email asking for advice.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Hangi

You have lots of mitigating circumstances. It's certainly worth appealing, but I think it will depend on the academic evidence.

Have you seen the Q&As yet? - follow link at the top of the page. There's a bit in section B about children from abroad.

You have some evidence of high ability (the InCAS Online Assessment and the KS2 predictions). I'm not sure what an appeal panel will make of a foreign Basic Skills Test - it's difficult to compare standards, and the ability bands at the top end look quite wide. Ideally one would be looking for the equivalent of stanine 8 or 9 in CAT tests:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b28

It might be worth considering an educational psychologist's report.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... ers.php#b3
It won't be easy, but if you can find an EP willing to test just VR, it could reduce the cost significantly. Unfortunately most EPs insist on the full battery of tests.

The Bucks 11+ is not curriculum based, and my feeling is that ideally you need some evidence of VR at around the 90th percentile.
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Hangi

I think Etienne is right to suggest that, if funds permit, you get an EP report. The existing assessments of your son's ability are all very encouraging, but the panel may not feel that teacher assessments from a foreign school (albeit one teaching to the English system) can be fully relied upon. Likewise they will not be familiar with the system or testing processes used at his previous school. An EP report would provide them with more concrete and familiar evidence as to his ability, and help to "glue your case together".

I have replied to you from the Appeals Box on another small matter.

Sally-Anne
Hangi

Post by Hangi »

Many many thanks Etienne and Sally-Anne for your encouraging advice.

We went to bed last night thinking "was it worth getting an EP Report", but now after reading more about, think it probably is.

Do you think a '2 pronged appeal' is best - The 1st being to focus on his academic qualifications from his previous school and the EP report, and then the 2nd being the rush to meet deadlines, no practice exam, sitting both exams in 1 day, moving country etc....
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Hangi

Yes, 50/50, but most people tend to focus too much on extenuating circumstances. You'll have no problem convincing a panel of your extenuating circumstances, anyway. I suggest in your case you should aim for 75% (at least) academic, 25% (at most) extenuating circumstances.

I'd like to change my suggestion about just testing VR (if you can find an EP willing not to do the full Weschler test). I would ask for NVR too, which links quite well with mathematical ability. Although the Bucks test is VR, I suspect your son will be good on the NVR side, and it will be an 'insurance' if his VR result is not as high as we hope. You can then argue at an appeal that his strengths are much more on the mathematical side.

As we've explained, you may have to settle for a full report anyway (the expensive one!). This can have some advantages in that it sometimes tells you things about your child you never realised!
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Hangi

Quite definitely, and in that order. Prove that he is of high ability and then show the panel why he seems to have been unable to reach the qualifying mark.

The summary that you emailed to the Appeals Box is an excellent starting point. All you need to do really is tidy it up to make it even more readable and add the information from the EP report in due course.

In the box on your appeal form that asks for supporting evidence you simply need to write is "our evidence will follow shortly", or words to that effect. All you need to enclose with the form at this stage is the Head teacher's summary sheet. I hope that the Head will be willing to submit something, even though s/he will be unable to complete several sections of the form. S/he may need to write a short covering letter to go with the form for that reason.

Sally-Anne

P.S. Etienne has beaten me to it, but I will post this anyway!
Hangi

Post by Hangi »

Once again, many thanks for your invaluable assistance.

I hope you get to have some rest after a busy weekend of frantic mums and dads emails!
Hangi

Post by Hangi »

Hello Etienne and Sally-Anne,
I am in need of your advice again!

I met with HT today, who believes that 115 is too low and would not get a place in the GS through an appeal.

HT, however, has only known DS for 1 week, but even with the mitigating circumstances, HT doesn't believe it is worth an appeal! HT did agree to support us if we decided to go ahead, but now I am so confused.

Is 115 too low under our circumstances?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Hangi

Although statistically 115 is quite a low score to appeal on, if you have strong academic evidence and also mitigating circumstances as you do, the chances of success increase quite a lot. Your case is certainly not hopeless by any means.

I fear that if you don't go ahead you will always wonder "what might have been". As the Head is willing to support you I would suggest that you give it whirl.

Just my opinion though!

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I agree with S-A. If around 18% of appeals succeed with 115, it can't be impossible!

You will need a good academic case, though.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now