Coeliac disease

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Coeliac disease

Post by moved »

DD and I have been diagnosed with coeliac disease. I realise that we can be normal, but do others have experience. Our first problem was nothing apart from fruit for breakfast. Off to ASDA now to buy some friendlier products but any advice would be welcomed.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Sorry to hear about this diagnosis and I wish you and you daughter success in trying to manage this condition. Unfotunately I have no advice but there must be forums relating to this condition out there which should offer a place of comfort and help managing your condition. My thoughts are with you.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

No advice really but I can sympathise. (My husband has Crohn's disease).

I hope that you and your daughter manage to successfully control it. x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

someone I work with has it well under control (as does her teenage son) - will ask for tips etc tomorrow. I know she gets some bread on prescription (some are better than others) - some biscuits are tastier than others too - will check. When we go out the restaurant manage fine and are usually very helpful, when she went abroad she got some cards in various languages from - I think the coeliac society) - explaining about the gluten sensitivity and these helped to get suitable meals abroad.

I think offhand it was only rice krispies ??? that were OK - or maybe they used to be OK and aren't now.... :roll: Another friend had gluten free croissants and melted choc for breakfast ... mmmmm!
solimum

Post by solimum »

A friend of mine and her son were diagnosed a couple of years ago: my DD has just used the condition as her coursework topic for GCSE Cookery so I've learned a bit. There is a magazine (I'm sure you can find a coeliac society/support group etc by google) and the big supermarkets now all carry a range of gluten-free biscuits, bread, pasta etc, though they often tend to be pricey. It's probably a case of trial and error to see which ones you prefer. You may need new specs to read all the small print on the labels of "normal" food as wheat & gluten can pop up in unexpected places! My friend was pleased though with how much better she felt on the new diet, so the best of luck to you both
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

hermanmunster wrote:I think offhand it was only rice krispies ??? that were OK - or maybe they used to be OK and aren't now.... :roll:
Rice Krispies are definitely OK for coeliac sufferers. That is my only pearl of wisdom on the subject though!
Milla

Post by Milla »

and bounties.
moved

Post by moved »

We're back from the supermarket. DD is labelling her food now. Got her a few treats that are just for her as well to make up for some of the things she can't have. She has some solid fruit bars for packed lunch and rice cakes, we're trying some of the rolls for lunch. Rice Krispies say they are not suitable so we won't risk them. Chocolate mousse is fine though and so is Mueller rice. DD is quite happy.

From my side if this cures the anemia, migraine and constant fatigue then I will be pleased. I'm not a big bread eater, but Worcester sauce and cornichons were a bit of a disappointment. We are having stir fry tonight with rice noodles.

It does eat into "frugality is fun" though!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Have you tried contacting the help groups for information.

eg. www.coeliac.org.uk

All the best!
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

We have a couple of coeliac friends and they've invested in a bread maker because they say bread from the supermarket seems to go stale quite quickly.

There are also some local restaurants here that do gluten-free food. For example, the local fish and chip shop will do chips that aren't done in the same fat as the fish (batter containing gluten) and one of the Chinese restaurants can use gluten-free soy sauce. If possible, it's worth finding some other local coeliacs who can pass on this type of tip!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now