gender split Pates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
slackmum

gender split Pates

Post by slackmum »

Does anyone know if Pates take the top 120 candidates or the top 60 girls and top 60 boys. If the former does this mean the gender split is skewed?
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

Top 120
Amber

Post by Amber »

Last year's intake was 2 thirds male. They had to go below 160 on the waiting list (ie below the waiting list) to fill the places.
Red

Post by Red »

I think this Y7 has just over 50 girls in the 120ish intake. My DD's class has 11 girls and 19 boys :shock:.
Milla

Post by Milla »

at our school, one boy and two girls have got Pate's and one of each on the waiting list. So, although it's highly unrepresentative, I'd say it was pretty even, or ... you could say one third boys to two thirds girls!
Last year I think 3 or 4 boys qualified (2 from the off, 3 on the waiting list) and one girl got in (none on waiting list). The year before 2 boys, 1 girl. In the village it's predominantly boys who go. Maybe we just have more boys. It's an interesting question, though.
langkawilucy

Post by langkawilucy »

There are 19 boys and 11 girls in my daughters class. Pates take top scores rather than discriminate by sex.
Milla

Post by Milla »

looks like you 2 have children in the same class LKWL and Red??? Or do Pate's split the classes completely equally?
Pushkin

Post by Pushkin »

Would those of you with dc at Pates be willing to share your experiences (good and bad) there?

My ds has secured a place there. I do not know anyone else either there or who has a place for next year. Thanks
Pushkin
Milla

Post by Milla »

I know quite a few people with children there and none of them has had a bad thing to say yet. Of course, now that it's actually relevant to me I'm going to listen to their conversation about it a little more avidly.
Good for sport / extra curricular stuff one friend was saying whose had 3 kids there.
ciren mum

Post by ciren mum »

I am in the same position as Pushkin. My son has a Pates place (and will be going there) but knows nobody.

I am hoping to take him there for the open morning on 26 November. Is anybody else going then? I am partly taking him in the hope of meeting others who may go there.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now