Warwickshire Statistics for Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DarkEnergy

Warwickshire Statistics for Grammar Schools

Post by DarkEnergy »

Does anyone have statistics on entries to Grammar Schools in Warwickshire. Example out of county, indepdendent school entries etc.
I have requested the info from Warwickshire Admissions and hope for rather than expect a reply. I will of course share any info I get on this message board.

I suspect that as state feeder schools do not prep for 11+ and indepdendents do, that the playing field is not level.

If, as I suspect, Warwickshire gov refuse to supply info, is there a freedom of information case possible?
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
WP

Re: Warwickshire Statistics for Grammar Schools

Post by WP »

DarkEnergy wrote:Does anyone have statistics on entries to Grammar Schools in Warwickshire. Example out of county, indepdendent school entries etc.
I have requested the info from Warwickshire Admissions and hope for rather than expect a reply. I will of course share any info I get on this message board.
There is some county info in the figures at the back of WCC's paper on the new arrangements.
DarkEnergy wrote:If, as I suspect, Warwickshire gov refuse to supply info, is there a freedom of information case possible?
A request, certainly, but it helps if you can specify precisely what you want, and if you think about whether they are likely to have the information. Excessive cost of gathering the info is grounds for refusal, as is not having it, of course.
magwich2

warwickshire statistics for grammar schools

Post by magwich2 »

I have 2 DDs at grammar school and DS at a private prep. I think you are somewhat mistaken in saying that state schools do no 11+ prep and private schools do.The VAST amount of 11+ prep comes from parents who hire private tutors and that route is obviously as open to state parents as private ones.
Also, at least one local primary has an after school 11+ club and I cannot imagine any child attends for the sheer joy of it!!
Another local primary has the Head identify likely 11+ successes and coach them in her office.
We have had each of our children in private school from year 3 onwards not because we wanted them "trained" to pass the 11+ (even assuming such a thing were possible) but because we wanted a good all-round education. DS attended a very well respected local state primary but was disorganised, intellectually lazy( don't understand the question immediately? Don't bother thinking or getting brain into gear - here comes the TA to explain to the indolent little bu**er!!)
Spelling pathetic and no effort made with homework - no problem - a lovely coloured sticker and "Your're brilliant *****!
Red pen to indicate myriad mistakes - not a chance- it might damage his self esteem!
Actually learning his times tables off by heart - Oh dear we can't make them work that hard; we're not in Victorian times now Mrs Magwich!
Well, the good news is that there IS a plan B and it involves wooden desks arranged in rows facing the smartly dressed teacher, quantities of red pen,books rather than worksheets and punishments for disruptive or discourteous behaviour.
The bad news is that one seems to have to pay for it.
So , we don't spend our hard earned money on private schools for the direct advantage of "training" because that does not happen but for the more indirect advantages of hard work and enforced intellectual effort.
I suppose the point of this post is that (sadly) all these advantages could easily be espoused by the state system but there seems no will to do so.
Rugbymum

Re: warwickshire statistics for grammar schools

Post by Rugbymum »

Nice to see another Warks person on here.

There are no feeder state schools in Warks but state primary schools are not supposed to do any 11 plus prep (this is definitely true in primary schools that my children and friends' children go to). However some parents do tutor (either paid or DIY) their children for the 11 plus.

I think with the new format, the playing field is more level - last year my son's class achieved a higher pass rate than the local indie school. I am lucky in that my children attend an outstanding state primary school (where timetables must be learnt by heart 8) ).
DarkEnergy

Re: warwickshire statistics for grammar schools

Post by DarkEnergy »

Hi Rugbymum. Sounds like my daughter goes to the same school as yours. Good to have quite a traditional approach to education. There is nothing wrong with learning times tables.
teacher

Post by teacher »

We all teach tables!
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

One of the useful things about knowing the past entry statistics is that it can give you an idea of how likely it may be for ones child to get into a grammar school.
Of course, it can also lead to a false sense of security and a false sense of inadequacy.
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

Just received an email from Warwickshire CSS quoting freedom of information etc at me. Very official and legalistic but basically says we are thinking about your request and will get back to you later.

I guess from county side, requests for information must be a real nuisance.

Will wait and see.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Thanks for the update - I would be very interested to know the outcome 8)
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

WCC have made a quick response. Some info not available or does not exist. The breakdown of county offers for 2008 and 2009 is here. The school offers will follow.

OFFERS MADE 2008

NFER VERBAL RREASONING

Ashlawn
East Warks 27
Northampton 2
Total 29

Lawrence Sheriff
East Warks 57
Other Warks 8
Northamptonshire 26
Leicestershire 3
Coventry 0