Appeal advice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Appeal advice

Post by Newbie »

Hello,

My DD got 116 in first test and 109 in second test :(. I have been to see her headteacher today who confirmed that she would fully support an appeal and also confirmed that she is predicted level 5 across the board for SATS and is on course to achieve this. There were some extenuating circumstance around the tests, in that she had another child sat in front of her who was very distracting throughout the test which meant that she got in a muddle during the test and failed to answer all of the questions. She was upset about this after, I suggested she speak to the teacher about it and then tried to play the whole thing down as didn't want her to worry about the second test. This backfired as on the morning of the second test she was quite upset that this child might be sat near her again so I spoke to the school on the morning of the second test and they moved him but I think the damage had already been done.
Anyway, sorry to ramble, but wanted to get some advice on the likleyhood of a succesful appeal and how much of the above I should put into the appeal.

Many thanks :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Newbie

Welcome!

Is this Bucks? The average success rate for 116 is around 27%. With the second score so much lower, the odds will probably be lower. Each case, of course, is decided on its own merits.

My honest opinion is that it depends very much on how strong an academic case you can put forward. Most appellants are going to have a prediction of three 5s plus the head's support as a starting point, so have a look at the Q&As to see what else you can come up with.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11

It would help if you can get a copy of the invigilator's report or a letter from the school confirming that there was a serious disturbance.

Good luck!
Etienne

Post by Newbie »

Thanks for your response, it is bucks. Do you know how I can get a copy of the invigilators report?
I also have her last two years reports which are v positive apart from one criticism that she talks too much. Do you think it's worth including these?

Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I would start by asking the school if a record was made of the incident.

Reports are well worth including if they're good - especially if they have something to say about high achievement.
Etienne

Post by Newbie »

Thank you for your help and advice, will do as you suggest :)

Post by Newbie »

Ok, have the headteacher summary sheet so would be gratefull for any advice on how to proceed.
My DD was given a 2:2 recommendation, predicted 5's for year 6 SATs, curently working well within level 4 and level 5 and headteacher has confirmed that she 'fully supports the appeal'.
Headteacher has also provided a seperate sheet of paper giving her comments on core curriculum area's which is all positive and the summary states: '*** works hard and acheives well in all areas of the curriculum. Attendance and and attitudes to learning are excellent, always completes homework and takes a full part in school life.
Unfortunately the school does not do any other form of testing so no other academic evidence available apart from school reports which have been consistantly good.
I realise that we have a lot of ground to make up with the marks she got and it's a long shot going for the appeal.
Thanks in advance :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

That's fine as far as it goes, but the lack of any other test scores is a problem, and I suspect it isn't going to be enough for scores of 116 and 109.

You may need to consider an educational psychologist's report. The dilemma, of course, apart from the expense, is that this could confirm the 11+ results.
Etienne

Post by Newbie »

Thanks Etienne,

Do you know how usefull a positive ed psych report would be at appeal, just trying to weigh up all the options.

many thanks,
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm afraid that's a decision for the individual panel.

My own view is that the evidence could be very useful - if the results are high enough!

If the report supports what the school is saying, and reinforces it, that would almost certainly be a good thing.

If the report contradicts the other evidence - and it's not clear why - it's more of a problem. The panel would have to decide what to believe!
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now