KE High School in Birmingham

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KE High School in Birmingham

Post by Guest »

Dear All

My daughter is going to sit the tests for KE High School in January and I wondered if there was anyone out there who knew anything about these tests. I know that the tests are over 2 days which i think is terrible, but other than that I know absolutely nothing more than the information oin the ke foundation website.

Is the test a really hard one like the other KE tests? I am very worried about her sitting this tests as I have never doen this sort of thing before. Any informatin you have would be a big help.

Jenny

Post by Guest »

Just wanted to say to whoever moved my post. KE High school is an independent school, part of KE Foundation, but not a state grammar.
KenR

KE High Schools for Girls

Post by KenR »

My daugther took the test in 2003 and is now in her 3rd year at the school.

KEH used to produce a handbook for prospective parents which contained a section on the Admissions Procedure, including exam format. Worthwhile phoning the school and asking them to send a copy. There's nothing on the web site on the exam format.

In 2003 the Exam format was:-

Day 1 - English Paper (1 Hour); Maths Paper (45 mins); VR Paper (1 Hour)
Day 2 - Maths Paper (1 Hour); English Paper (1 Hour)

I think the 2 day format is actually surprisingly relaxing for girls; much better than the KE Grammar Schools 'pressure cooker' 11+ exam!

I think I am correct in saying that the school arranges for some 2nd year girls to look after all candidates during breaks and lunch etc.

Very good School - really pleased with the progress. Fantastic GCSE and A level results this year.

Post by Guest »

Ken, Thank you for the information, I will give the school a ring. One question, my other daughter is at Camp Hill school and I have found that, although she has homework, it is something the she can cope with. Does your daughter have a lot of homework? I know this is a difficult question to answer as everyone has different ideas of what is a lot and what isn't.

I am glad your daughter is happy at the school and thank you for your message.

Jenny
KenR

KEH - Ken to Jenny

Post by KenR »

My daugther has a reasonable amount of homework but I wouldn't say this is excessive. One thing the School does very well is to encourage the girls to take personal responsibily for self study and subject research etc.

Post by Guest »

My daughter got into KEHS - she is really pleased - made our weekend actually. Ken - do you still read the board? I know that you have said that the school is a good one - the league tables tell you this. However, I am very wary of league tables because there is always another side to them. Is the school a happy one or is it a pressure cooker for clever children? Any information would be gratefully received - although of course, we are still hoping for KECHS - KEHS would probably be our second choice.

Thanks

Jenny
KenR

Ken to Jenny

Post by KenR »

Hi Jenny,

We are still very happy with KEHS. I wouldn't say that this is an academic pressure cooker environment. I really think it is a very happy school - my daughter has developed a lot of close frends within her class and they all really enjoy the school. Even though there were a lot of girls from previous school that got into KEHS, she has tended to develop new closer friends.

One aspect of the school that is quite different to many other schools is that they try to discourage excessive competition between girls. For example, girls are not assigned to houses and there are no inter-house competitions. Another example is that Internal exam marks are not published; girls are given number rating which reflects a range of achievement or effort.

I would say that if your daughter passed the exam then she would not have any problems coping with the school environment.

KEHS has quite a small intake, only 78(3 classses) - it's actually quite different in culture and approach to the neighbouring KES boys school.

The school is very strong musically, a lot of the girls play instruments and there are lots of opportunities to play in various musical ensembles. Music is the one subject area that is run jointly with the boys.

Hope this helps.

I too am waiting for the KE Camp Hill Foundation results for my son.

Good luck.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for that, Ken. My daughter really wants to go with her sister to KECHS, but we are so pleased that she got into KEHS, as she is going to a very good school whatever happens. Thank you for the reassurance. One of the reasons that I want her to go to a KE school is because of the music.

Good luck for your son, I hope he achieves a place at Camp Hill.

Post by Guest »

ah some things haven't changed .... Idid the KEHS exam in 1970..... it was a two day event even then - no stress - very well planned, in the 6th form we ended up helping out- looking after the youngsters etc and running round with exam papers etc
It was a Direct Grant school then (untile 74 that is) - about 98% were on free places
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now