Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Red

Pocket Money and Bed Time for a Y7

Post by Red »

My DD and I are currently having "debates" about these 2 issues. :roll:

My questions are:
  • What time should Y7s be in bed?
    How much pocket money is reasonable for a Y7 and would you expect room tidying/other household chores to be part of the package?

Red
moved

Post by moved »

In our house pocket money is dependent on chores. If very helpful and usually only in the holidays ours get £20. Bedtime is between 8 and 9 pm.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Same here-no pocket money if bedroom not tidied and other chores not done.Bedtime in yr7 was 8.30 and is now 9pm in yr8.
Chelmsford mum

Re: Pocket Money and Bed Time for a Y7

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Red wrote:My DD and I are currently having "debates" about these 2 issues. :roll:

My questions are:
    How much pocket money is reasonable for a Y7 and would you expect room tidying/other household chores to be part of the package?

Red
Hi,
Just settled on a policy in the last two weeks after discussion. :roll:
On a night she doesn't have hobbies(dancing) it is bed at eight with reading till 8.30.It is more like 9 on the two hobby nights.Obviously some flexibility if she had huge amounts of homework, which she doesn't on the whole.If she does have a later night I am more strict the following night.

I have a rota in place for chores now.They are shared between her and her older sis.They take turns either loading or unloading dishwasher/tidying the kitchen after dinner as I cook.They have to iron their own uniforms/ changes of blouse as and when needed.If they notice they are out of underwear/ socks, they have to bring them down and put the wash on.(to avoid cries at 7.30 of I haven't got any clean socks")
aside from that they have to tidy, hoover and surface wipe their room once a week and keep it generally tidy.

When this was first decided, they were all for ringing "childline" but they have got used to it and I wish I had done it before.I work lots of hours term time and it genuinely helps me.I get less moans too because they know exactly what is expected.

Pocket money for the year 7 is £5 a week but obviously that doesn't cover everything, it is just pocket money.She wants to see "New Moon" this week and I will pay for that.Other people I know give more but expect them to entirely fund their own activites.

What's your thinking on this?
essex-mum18

Re: Pocket Money and Bed Time for a Y7

Post by essex-mum18 »

Red wrote:My DD and I are currently having "debates" about these 2 issues. :roll:

My questions are:

Red
You may like to look at this thread

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=10756

I pay most of the necessities. My son has £15- 20 per week including 2x school dinners and pocket money. No pay for house chores.

He usually goes to bed between 9:30 - 10pm.

Another debate to have television in his own bedroom recently. No! No! I am afraid ( may need a new thread for that!)
moved

Post by moved »

Ooh I feel better, I keep thinking I'm an unreasonable tyrant. Fortunately neither child has complained.
Red

Post by Red »

Bed time is latest 9pm -- she will put herself to bed earlier if tired. She's not a reader so goes to sleep quickly.

Pocket money is £3.50 with no strings attached apart from good behaviour. This is really pocket money. I fund cinema tickets and other ents.

Apparently school friends are watching I'm a Celebrity till 10 -- which I can't really believe -- and have much more flexible and benevolent parents who dole out enormous amounts of pocket money.

Red
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

This might interest you re pocket money...http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=10756
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

moving wrote:Ooh I feel better, I keep thinking I'm an unreasonable tyrant. Fortunately neither child has complained.
Indeed, I could be a bit tyrant sometimes :twisted: :twisted: , but can be an adorable angel most of the times :P :P . Son moaned a bit but cannot argue when I have no TV in my room. Peer influence!!!???
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Red wrote:Bed time is latest 9pm --
Pocket money is £3.50 with no strings attached apart from good behaviour. This is really pocket money. I fund cinema tickets and other ents.

Apparently school friends are watching I'm a Celebrity till 10 -- which I can't really believe -- and have much more flexible and benevolent parents who dole out enormous amounts of pocket money.

Red
We seem pretty similar then.
Yr 9 daughter is 9.30 - 10 but I turn a blind eye to the fact she reads up there by low light to 10.30 some nights as I know she finds it hard to go to sleep.She know when she is tired and turns light out earlier. Yr 7 daughter has always needed more sleep.The yr 9 gets 2.50 a week more pocket money but I have told her the ceiling will be £10 a week in yr 11 and there will be a chore increase.As soon as she is 16 she will have to try and find a Saturday job if she wants more.We just can't go any higher with 3 to fund.Hopefully she might be able to babysit for people too.

They both have friends who stay up later and it is true becuase I know their parents.They settle down as a family to watch katie price and her jungle antics.Well that's not for us for a variety of reasons but each to their own I suppose.

I know it to be true that many of their friends get more money too but we just can't stretch to more and I think they understand that as they don't complain.

EDIT Totally in the same place regarding a tv in their room too Essex Mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now