When will you get your results?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hallie

When will you get your results?

Post by hallie »

When do you all get your results in Devon?

I'm beginning to find the waiting really hard and in East Devon (i.e. for Colyton Grammar), the school allocations are posted by SECOND CLASS POST :roll: to parents on March 1st (see www.devon.gov.uk) so who knows when we'll be put out of our misery. My son of course is totally oblivious and hasn't even asked when he'll get his results.

Is it only East Devon who uses 2nd class post?
When do the rest of you get yours?

I wish I'd applied online as someone said they sent out results by e-mail on the 28th Feb by mistake last year!

Results

Post by Guest »

Hi,
In Plymouth the results are posted by First Class mail on the 1st March which is 'National Allocation Day' according to our LA 'Next Step Booklet'. Obviously our Local Authority has more funding for postage then yours! :roll:
I don't know about 'on-line' applications as it is the first year people have been able to apply on-line. I can only assume everyone's letter is posted at the same time. I'm probably wrong on that but as I did a form via the school I won't be sat huddled next to the computer at 0001 on 1/3! (I'll be outside the sorting office instead!) :lol: Not too long now...
Saltash Mum 30

Post by Saltash Mum 30 »

In Cornwall the results are posted out on 1st March first class by the LEA - in Truro! So even though they are sent out first class they won't arrive until the 2nd (hopefully) or maybe even the 3rd.

I did do an online application but it didn't submit properly and I had to a paper one in the end. :roll:

I am trying not to think about it. My daughter has forgotten about it altogether!!
Plymouth 36

Post by Plymouth 36 »

Only two weeks to go and counting.

My daughter took the 11+ at PHS and like most of the other girls found the VR reasonable but the maths very hard.

We have already considered appealing if she is not offerred a place. Has anybody had experience in the appeals process in Plymouth? Last year it seems there were 15 appeals for PHS but only a few were allowed.

Post by Guest »

Hello Plymouth 46

L have no experience of the appeal process but from what I understand they actually can't allow that many appeals to succeed as there aren't enough places. If you think about it there are 120 places,there are always more girls that pass than there are places,so they take the top 120 girls.We don't find out if we have passed or failed untill we are offered a place or not,at the same time as everybody else.

So technically the school is fully subscribed and they will only be able to take 1 maybe 2 girls on appeal.I some girls do not accept there places I'm not sure how they are allocated,whether it is on appeal,or the next highest score.

Your best bet is to contact the LEA.

Why do you think that you will need to appeal?

What is your second choice?
plymouth36

when do you get your results

Post by plymouth36 »

Thanks for the information.

We are hoping we will not need to appeal but I know how badly my daughter wants to attend PHS and feel we should prepare ourselves for any outcome.

Our second choice we put down was DHSG. We do not know if this was the right thing to do but the schools admission team suggested it may be advisable as our local catchment school is not normally over subscribed.

What was your second choice?

Post by Guest »

Hello Plymouth 36

Our second choice is Coombe Dean,as we were advised against putting both grammers as first and second choice due to more kids passing thanplaces,and decided to opt for an OK secondary rather than be down to our third choice and run the risk of being sent somewhere really awful,due to all the really good secondarys filling up on first choices.

However I am hoping it doesn't come to that ,and am feeling quite confident.

If she doesn't get in I don't think we will appeal due to the unlikelyhood of succeeding,and the added stress,I think we will just let it go.
plymouth36

Post by plymouth36 »

I think you are probably wise as it may not be worth appealing due to more stress. I think that we would discuss the pros and cons with our daughter first if it comes to it.

Good luck.

Not long now

Post by Guest »

hello plymouth 36

I'm sure you daughter will be fine,and you will look back this time next year and wonder why you were worried. :)
Mad Mum

Post by Mad Mum »

This time next week! I can't believe its nearly here! I do hope our postman decides to deliver our post before he has his elevenses! or worse - lunch!

Plymouth 36 : I too put down both girls grammar schools on recommendation of our tutor and the LEA. Our third choice is Coombe Dean. I have been wondering whether this was the right decision and I suppose only time will tell! I do not think we will appeal should our daughter not be successful as, having read the Appeals thread, it sounds a very daunting process!

Good luck to all, I hope your sons/daughters are successful.