Fabulous second-hand or mediocre new instrument?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Fabulous second-hand or mediocre new instrument?

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Decided to stick with the clarinet as we have discovered that it is the clarinet that is the problem. His teacher was complaining that it was rubbish but I thought it would do him until he sat an exam. During his lesson the other day he was playing like an angel and I was smuggly thinking, "See, his clarinet is fine". When I spoke to her she said he had been playing her clarinet to prove how bad ours was and how much of his potential was being wasted! :oops: I stand corrected! She has a lovely second-hand one that she wants to sell for £400! :shock: It is great quality and she was a student at Purcell and now the RCM so I assume she had the very best but realistically how much would it have cost originally and is it worth spending that money (not that we can afford it just now) on a second-hand instrument or the same amount on a new but less prestigious one? :?
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I would trust your music teacher if you have no reason to doubt her.
When our eldest got to grade 5 in flute, the teacher said, and we trust her, her flute was not going to get the sound needed to continue.
It was a significant outlay at £800 quid :shock: and that was with a 20% discount but even I could hear the difference and it will take her all the way to grade 8+.If your teacher feels the £400 will "go all the way" then it sounds like a good buy.
moved

Post by moved »

Have a look on ebay. We were very lucky with DDs flute and managed to get a £500 for £100 and it had barely, if ever, been played. It does have an engraving on the head piece, but nothing that interferes with the sound.
katel

Post by katel »

Second hand good one every time. But £400 is quite a lot. Why not have a look at your local music shop and see what they've got? Or Ebay. My dd's clarinet was £200ish on ebay.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I did buy a rubbish one and I knew that but I thought it could get him to Grade 2 and at the time I wasn't prepared to rent one because this one was only £85. It would have cost me the same in rental so I don't feel I've made any loss on this. I'll need to discuss it with her but obviously she wants to sell it so being an ignoramous in this field any sales pitch would work! What is more depressing is because the boys are at independent schools we are not entitled to the VAT reduction on a new instrument. :(
katel

Post by katel »

For example - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Buffet-Crampon-Cl ... 33578d0c7e

This one will probably go for about £150, and will do fine to grade 5.
KB

Post by KB »

DD complaining her clarinet not up to much but as she mainly plays sax these days & we just bought her a new one of those she will have to wait!
I dont think you would get a new clarinet that was worth trading up to for £400 though - guessing £600 plus as absolute minimum.

Should be able to get spec of he second-hand one to check current cost at least? Also much better to buy from reliable source than newspaper ad etc. Do check when it was last serviced as that can be very expensive.

Do you have access to rental scheme in the short term if the capital outlay isn't viable atm? Some music shops will do hire with option to purchase later so what you have paid in hire charges isn't all lost.

Unfortunately music seems to be an expensive business! Ours have had instruments for Birthday/ Christmas presents in past but as they move up the levels the cost of instruments rather exceeds normal present expenditure :)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks Katel. I'm going to find out what make hers is, what it cost new and post it on here to se if anyone thinks it's good. I just don't want to make another mistake buying a rubbish instrument. :?
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Thanks Katel. I'm going to find out what make hers is, what it cost new and post it on here to se if anyone thinks it's good. I just don't want to make another mistake buying a rubbish instrument. :?
And someone is bound to know :D that's what I love about this site.I had a distressed yr 7 about 6 ish last night because neither of us could figure out her geography homework.I posted a question before tea.After tea there were several replies....problem solved :D DD was very impressed too.
fm

Post by fm »

My son was lucky enough to be given a trumpet by the orchestra for which he played for 3 years but has now had to return it. It was a Bach Stradivarius and costs £1500 new. He is now doing a music degree and has returned to his middle of the road instrument but, if I could find a similar trumpet to the Bach for £400 and know its provenance, I would grab it with both hands.

If the clarinet is of similar standard, then £400 seems reasonable.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now