Rugby - the cons please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

Rugby - the cons please

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Oversized DS2 has been told he is going to be a Prop in the A team (it's not tag Rugby) and I am really concerned that we are going to have lots of injuries. Ok, so he'll probably do more damage but I've been having sleepless nights about someone accidently stomping on his head and giving him brain damage. Please help me get over my irrational, or not so irrational :shock: fears!

Oh no DS1 (the weed) says a minimum of three people brake their arm each season!!! :cry:

EDIT: I'm so nevous I can't even spell break! :shock:
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

It's true - there are many injuries - in the past 6 weeks there have been 2 broken legs in DS's team.......but DS LOVES the game. I cannot go and watch him play DH has to as I can't bear watching him been mown down and indeed the only time I did go and watch him in a match he was stamped on and then proceeded to come over to me and give me one of his teeth!!! and carried on playing. I think your DS should give it a go (but don't watch him) and see for himself if it is a sport he thinks he would like. My DS just loves the cameraderie and teamsmanship.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

suncrest wrote: My DS just loves the cameraderie and teamsmanship.
Which I'm sure you could also get from a nice safe sport like table tennis :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, it is worrying, but you just have to let them play (make sure you have suitable insurance cover though :cry: )
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Eh...I cannot find the bit that is supposed to make me feel better! :cry:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Bits to make Tipsy feel better:

When ds gets older and plays his games with you can join him in the pub afterwards.

You may also like to admire any passing bulging biceps on the field :shock:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I told you Snowdrops would be the FIRST to press that button! :evil:

(I already do the bicep oogling with his coaches)
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

Boys like rough sports
Season finishes in May

eeerrmmm.........no horrible rugby kit washing from May to Sept

eeerrrrrmmmmmm.........Oh yes, good excersise!

Feeling any better Tipsy?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

FREYA,

I WAS NOT GOING TO ASK FOR YOUR ADVICE BECAUSE YOU ARE INCREDIBLY BIASED :wink: BUT HELP ME OUT HERE! TWEEDLE DUM AND TWEEDLE DEE ARE MAKING THINGS WORSE! :cry:
andyb

Post by andyb »

DS1 started playing rugby at the beginning of year 7 as his games master seems to think he has natural flair. He plays No.8 - I have no idea what that means, but after the first session he asked for a scrum helmet thingy so I guess he gets squashed a bit! As far as I know he hasn't actually had his head stamped on - just caught by boots during rucks(?).

Three weeks into term he broke his arm at training when a bigger boy charged at the tackle bag that DS was holding! Two weeks after having the plaster removed he was back playing.

He regularly comes home with s tud marks on his arms, legs, face and body and bruises from where he has shoulder barged other boys. I'm not very keen on him playing and try to encourage other sports but he is determined to stick at it - I suppose if he felt the injuries were too serious then he would change his mind - but then maybe not!

Sorry - I probably haven't allayed your fears.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Um...cauliflower ears can still be attractive???
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now