Any views on Marling?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cairo

Any views on Marling?

Post by cairo »

If there are any parents of boys currently at Marling, I'd be really interested to know what you think of it.

Also, I know the previous Head was sacked and there's currently an Acting Head. How is that working out? And has the school got a permanent Head starting soon?

Thanks.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Hi Cairo, sorry to hear you too are in the twilight zone.

Re- practice scores am as much in the dark as you. DS2's scores were a lot higher in practice than his brother's (who breezed into Tommy's last year :? ) and he too was hitting 90's in both Walsh and Susan Daughtry in the last week or two. He has very high CATs scores so I expected it.

Can't help you with Marling but I can say that whilst 250 boys passed for Tommy's this year last year it was 263. So fingers crossed the pass needed will be lower.
capers123

Re: Any views on Marling?

Post by capers123 »

cairo wrote:If there are any parents of boys currently at Marling, I'd be really interested to know what you think of it.

Also, I know the previous Head was sacked and there's currently an Acting Head. How is that working out? And has the school got a permanent Head starting soon?

Thanks.
Adverts have been placed for a new head. According to parents I know, the school is working very well indeed under the acting head and results are improving. My DD is next door...
Capers
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Hi Cairo

I can't help much because I have only DD's - but I can tell you that my neighbours boy is now in year 8 at Marling and loving it. His confidence has increased hugely and he seems to have a large group of friends.
ciren mum

Post by ciren mum »

My eldest son is at Marling in Year Eleven. He has done very well academically and he made friends quickly (he only knew one boy when he started there)

We think that the acting head is good and there are certainly some very good teachers there.

It is true that they are advertising for a new head and I am sure this will only be to the benefit of the school.

A lot of the boys are sporty and the school has had a lot of sporting success. A lot of the boys play sport at lunchtimes and my son seems to have muddy trousers nearly every day.
cairo

Post by cairo »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Food for thought...

Tolstoy - yes, it's horrid to be in this period of uncertainty. And it's kind of you to point out that "only" 250 boys qualified for Tommies this year, as opposed to 263 last year - but 250 still sounds like far too many for their 108 places, so not holding out much hope for DS1.

What is encouraging though is how positive everyone is about whichever school their child goes to. We are lucky to have so many good schools in Glos. aren't we?
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now