Trying to decide between Stroud and Ribston for 2nd choice.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

langkawilucy

Trying to decide between Stroud and Ribston for 2nd choice.

Post by langkawilucy »

1st choice is DR but if we dont get in with 215 marks then cant decide between Stroud and Ribston. We live in Cheltenham. Does anyone have any opinions on Ribston as we are just not sure about it. The exam results are quite a lot lower than the other grammars.
Milla

Post by Milla »

Hi there, my info is obv hearsay but, for what it's worth, the daughters of a couple of friends go and they love it. The bus is earlier (shudder) from the race course than to DR but both girls are thriving. One very sporty, the other very drama-based. I think it used perhaps to be in the shadow of DRd but to be honest I'd heard (again only heard, haven't had to examine the evidence as mother of boys) that they had been doing better results-wise recently than DRd. So not an also-ran at all.
Don't know anything about Stroud.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

My Y7 DD loves Stroud High. It's a very buzzy place, where children are encouraged to obtain their own personal best rather than compete with each other.

Music is nicely strong. Several blocks (CDT, Music, 1/2 of science) are shared with Marling next door, as are some of the clubs (Senior orchestra for one), so there is some contact with boys - and 6th form is mixed.

The Y6 to Y7 move up was wonderfully done. A visit in school from a teacher, web forum to ask Y7 girls questions and chat to other new girls... And the canteen is very good as well.

Down sides? The walk back up the hill afterwards!
Capers
ciren mum

Post by ciren mum »

I don't know the Gloucester schools but I think that Stroud High is a fantastic school. My son is at Marling and a friend (from Stroud High) comes to our house quite often. She seems to love the school. I have also visited the school a number of times and been very impressed by everything - pupils, teachers, resources etc.

If I had a girl, which I don't, I would be one hundred percent happy to send my daughter there.
quacks

Post by quacks »

Have to say we just looked around Stroud as my daughter has a place there in Top 120, we were very impressed with the school ethos and attitude.

Less impressed with Ribston seemed more disorganised and have not put it on list. From Cheltenham it was only 30 mins so in some respects easier to get to than Ribston as well.

Daughter has a score of 223 for Denmark Road so most likely going there but I have to say was almost tempted by Stroud..
Milk

Post by Milk »

Just a repeat of my earlier reply to another post of yours re. Ribston Hall:
Ribston Hall is a wonderful school, and I just can't praise it enough. My dd is y7 and thriving there. The school nurtures the whole child, and has a warm and inclusive vibe. Dd is well-motivated, and throws herself into her homework when she returns home every day. She has made many friends already, and also has energy for extra-curricular activities at the schoool. She loves the school dinners, which always sound mouth-watering (a 4-week dinner schedule is provided) and are both healthy and inexpensive. The Head and her staff are really supportive and approachable. We are so so happy with Ribston. Like I said - I just can't praise the school enough!