IGCSE marking

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

IGCSE marking

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Does anyone know how the IGCSE maths paper is marked i.e what percentage is A*, A, B etc and to do the higher level does a child have to sit the core and extended paper or just the extended paper?

Thanks!

EDIT: I have also noticed Cambridge have 4 papers - 2 core and 2 extended - does a child sit all 4 papers?
KenR

Post by KenR »

IGCSE Higher is only 2 papers but you can choose the type of paper. As with most IGCSE subject you can choose a pure based papers.

The marking scheme is virtually the same as GCSE so to get A* you need 90%+, A=80% + etc etc.

My son took IGCSE Higher Maths during Year 8 as a distance learning module using NEC
fm

Post by fm »

I think this must depend on the board.

In Edexcel IGCSE maths (which seemed easier than Cambridge), an A kicked in at about 62% for the last few years.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

KenR,

What did your son do after that. I could let DS sit the higher paper as he wouldn't need to do any work because he already knows what is needed but because he is boarding it would be difficult to do an A'level as he would need to learn the new topics. Is your son doing a distance A'level?
KenR

Post by KenR »

In Edexcel IGCSE maths (which seemed easier than Cambridge), an A kicked in at about 62% for the last few years.
Hi fm

It was Edexcel that he took, Not sure where you got the 62% from, he averaged 82% and was given a grade A.

Tipsy,

After the IGCSE Higher Maths, he took IGCSE Biology last year in year 9 and also got a grade A in that as well.

He wanted to do another this year but there's not much point whilst he is doing the real GCSE's at school.

He enjoyed the distance learning approach and found both the tutors were very good. Got some great notes to supplement the course material which I think is excellent revision material for later on. he just enjoyed the challenge of doing something a bit different to homework.
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

KenR wrote:He wanted to do another this year but there's not much point whilst he is doing the real GCSE's at school.
KenR, why doesn't he do the (real) IGCSE instead of the GCSE in school? Is it because his school doesn't offer the IGCSE?
fm

Post by fm »

Dear Kenr,

I got it from examiner's reports on IGCSE Maths.

It had a table with:

82 A* 64 A 46B etc.

and the comment that it varies each year.

I have just checked Edexcel website and in 2009 the boundaries were:

81* 63A 45B etc.

This accords with what a KES master had told one of my pupils.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Sorry for not replying sooner but normally the button turns orange to say there is a reply but not this time. :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now