Air cadets

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sharone

Air cadets

Post by sharone »

Hi all

After not having any ideas of what he might want to do in the future, our son has now expressed an interest in becoming an RAF pilot. We do have an Air Cadets squadron near to us, and I thought it might be valuable for him to join. My other half thinks that at 13 he might not be able to handle the discipline, but he's still keen, and the joining age is 13-16. It would be helpful to hear other's experiences about how their children fared, especially any who eventually did enlist and became pilots...

Thanks
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Well I joined the Air Cadets at 11 and absolutely loved it - was shooting within three months and in planes within a year and a half. I didn't find the discipline difficult and actually if OH is concerned about him not coping with the discipline then it is probably the best place for him! :lol:
another mother

Post by another mother »

We know of two sisters that joined and absolutely loved it though some time ago now. in the end there were reasons why they didn't become pilots (one had been very set on it but I think was too short.. :( ) but I have a vague memory that they had a lot of help with uni funding.

They were great girls, always very mature and capable anyway, but who gained a lot of confidence from it. It wouldn't appeal to me, but if you like flying etc, why not try it?
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Check they are not colour blind and then GO FOR it. In my youth many happy hours in planes at the tax payers expense. :lol:
Animis opibusque parati
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Can they join if they wear glasses? Or is that question as silly as I fear it might be?
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Animis opibusque parati
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Ed's mum wrote:Can they join if they wear glasses? Or is that question as silly as I fear it might be?
No problem. Just that you cannot be an RAF pilot if you are colour blind. No reason why you cannot join the RAF in other roles.

Speaking from experience, as an ex air cadet, who wanted to be a pilot, .... and who is colour blind.
sharone

Post by sharone »

Thanks everyone, that's really reassurring. I don't think he's colour blind as he's been to the optometrist. His eyesight is fine now, but I worry that he may be like me (okay at school but became short sighted ~18).

If, for example, he did become shortsighted, but had it corrected with laser surgery etc so wouldn't need glasses or contacts, would he still be able to fly?

As for discipline, personally I think he could deal with it, and there's some elements of that in his karate. I think he'd really enjoy it, and regardless of if he bacame a pilot, his time there would stand him in could stead. At least trying to become a pilot is a little bit more realistically achievable than an F1 driver (think he may be a speed freak)...
bcookerblum

Post by bcookerblum »

Hi. I'd say go for it! The cadet force is a fantastic extra- curricular activity for any teen whatever their plans( or lack of!) for the future!
No experience of air cadets, daughter is in the army cadets and loving every minute!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Air Cadets is fun, and the DC get alot from it.
Our main reservation was the time needed. Our local one insists that the DC attends two evenings a week, 3hrs each. With H/W and other after school clubs, sadly it was too much of a commitment.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now