Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tweets

Bucks - No help from the school

Post by tweets »

Hi I'm a first time viewer and poster.

My DS scored 117 and 115.

We met with the head teacher and was told that we don't have his support
He was scored a 3:3. During the meeting we were told that our DS was above average, but not good enough for a GS. They feel his work is inconsistent and that he only tries on the subjects he likes. We have never been told this. His year 5 report says "consistently works hard in English, diligently learning spellings and accurately transferring them into writing". "positive attitude and willingness to learn maths'. "articulate, well read and literate". Good in ICT, history, PE, Art and DT. Very good in RE, Music and Geography.

We were especially surprised because we had recently spoken to DS's teacher at parents evening and were told that he had achieved level 5 and was working at level 6 in maths and english and that he has a phenomenal vocabulary. No mention that he is inconsistent.

His previous results were:

Yr 3 - Writing 3B - Reading 4 - Reading age 12.3 - Spelling age 12.6. Numeracy and Science 3C

Yr 4 - Writing and Reading 4C - Reading age 13.9 Spelling age 14.7 - Numeracy 4C - Science 3B

He then moved to another school at the beginning of 5. He found it hard to fit in, but always tried his best.

Yr 5 - English and Maths 4a - Science 4c

We feel like we have been knocked for 6, but we still believe in our DS and feel strongly that he will thrive in a GS.

I'm not sure if his track record shows favourably.

Any advice would be a great help.

Hope this isn't too rambling. :oops:

Thanks
Etienne

Re: Bucks - No help from the school

Post by Etienne »

Welcome, and so sorry to read your news.

You've provided a lot of helpful details, and I'll give you my honest assessment.
tweets wrote:My DS scored 117 and 115.
The 117 is respectable. 115 less so.
His year 5 report says "consistently works hard in English, diligently learning spellings and accurately transferring them into writing". "positive attitude and willingness to learn maths'.
The 11+ is about ability, so motivation may not help much.
"articulate, well read and literate".
I like that!
were told that he had achieved level 5 and was working at level 6 in maths and english and that he has a phenomenal vocabulary.
Even better! The trouble is you don't have it in writing?
Yr 3 - Writing 3B - Reading 4 - Reading age 12.3 - Spelling age 12.6. Numeracy and Science 3C
Very good reading and spelling ages. NC Reading level OK. Writing below what I would have expected (level 3 in year 2 would suggest GS standard).
Yr 4 - Writing and Reading 4C - Reading age 13.9 Spelling age 14.7 - Numeracy 4C - Science 3B
Fine, apart perhaps from Science.
Yr 5 - English and Maths 4a - Science 4c
English and Maths look all right. Science borderline.

All this suggests to me that it would be worth trying an appeal, but without school support I don't know that it would be enough to convince an appeal panel.

I'm assuming you haven't any CAT scores? We really need some alternative evidence of high reasoning ability.

I'll repeat what I've written elsewhere when the academic case is probably not quite strong enough. You may need to think seriously about an educational psychologist's report.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... ers.php#b3
Success is not guaranteed, but if you were to get cognitive scores at around the 90th percentile, it would be very useful evidence and might tip the balance in your favour.

I'm afraid EP reports are expensive, and they may not give you the results you want. It could reduce the cost significantly if you can find an EP willing to test just VR, but unfortunately most of them will want to do the full battery of tests.
Etienne
tweets

Post by tweets »

Thank you so much for your speedy response and your honest assessment.

My DS has only been at his current school for one term, so I am going to ask his previous head teacher if she would be willing to write a supportive letter.

I'm in the process of drafting a letter to ask the current head teacher for the following:-

All my DS's test results
His current reading and spelling age
Predicted SAT scores
Class teacher's current assessment of his ability

Should I be asking for anything else?

You mentioned CAT scores, is this a national test?

It would be great to hear from anyone else that didn't get the head teachers' support.

Thanks again for your help.

[/quote]
fm

Post by fm »

If I have understood properly, your child has moved schools on Year 5 and Year 6. This would certainly account for some under performance. I have heard that any move of school sets them back considerably, and, having had to move my eldest twice due to relocation, this has been my experience, too.

I am not an expert on appeals (although I have been through 4 for my children, 3 successfully) but I would have thought the move of school is possibly extenuating circumstances.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi tweets
tweets wrote:I'm in the process of drafting a letter to ask the current head teacher for the following:-

All my DS's test results
His current reading and spelling age
Predicted SAT scores
Class teacher's current assessment of his ability

Should I be asking for anything else?
No, apart from the CATs scores.
You mentioned CAT scores, is this a national test?
CATs are Cognitive Ability Tests. They test Verbal, Non-Verbal and Quantitative Reasoning. They are not national tests, and some schools don't do them or will use other types of test. I would simply ask for the results of any other tests that your son may have done.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Moving school might be an extenuating circumstance, especially if it occurred near the beginning of year 6 (or even earlier if there were a lot of settling in problems).
Etienne
tweets

Post by tweets »

Hi

Sorry, I wasn't clear. My DS only moved school once, at the beginning of year 5. My DS took a while to settle into his new class. This was stated in his yr 5 report.

Thank you so much for your encouraging words, you are certainly a veteran of the appeals process.
tweets

Post by tweets »

Hi

As my DS doesn't have the support of the current head teacher's so I am asking the head teacher from his year 4 school for support.

What sort of information do I need to ask for?

I would appreciate input from anyone who can help.

Thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi tweets

Thank you for the information concerning your mitigating circumstances. Please try to play the issues down and allow the panel to ask for more information. Too many mitigating cicumstances can come across as desperation!

You should ask the previous Head for a letter confirming your son's academic ability and his suitability for a grammar school. If s/he is able to comment on his performance in English, Maths and Science that would also be helpful. Essentially that will cover the information that the current Head is refusing to provide.

Sally-Anne
purple123

Post by purple123 »

Hi
I do feel for you. My child scored 120 and the school (in Bucks) are not supporting us either. They are saying she is not grammar school material.
We also moved into the area last year and she started yr 5 (Sep) at her new school. There were some huge settling in problems, we moved house twice within 6 months and so on.
Definitely contact her old school.
I have also spoken to an Educational Psychologist and we will get her assessd. Hopefully the results will support our case, if not, we will exclude them.
I do wish you all the best. I have found this forum an immense help.