English as a second language-grounds for appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
katel

English as a second language-grounds for appeal?

Post by katel »

My neice is half Spanish and lived in Spain until her family moved to the UK halfway through year 4. She had been educated in Catalan until then, and , although her father is English and the intention was to bring her up trilingual (Spanish, English and Catalan) in reality the language in the home was Spanish, and her English, although very good, was by no means perfect when she arrived in the UK. It has improved hugely, but it is still not perfect. She took the Kent 11+ in January, and her parents are wondering how much weight the appeals panel would give to the language issue should she fail. Anybody and experience/thoughts on the matter? I am just incredibly impressed that she could even take on the VR test - it's hard enough for native speakers!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear katel

I think it would depend how close to the passmark she is, and on whether her English is inadequate for the 11+. There should be evidence to support the latter (e.g. a report from the school, her English exercise book, her KS2 prediction).

Regards
Etienne
katel

Post by katel »

Thank you for your reply - but I'm being particularly thick tonight. Do you mean that she needs supporting evidence for her English being good enough for her to do the 11+ but it deserted her on the day, or that her English not being good enough generally, but she should go to grammar school because it will improve with time? I said I was being thick.......!
katel

Post by katel »

Thank you for your reply - but I'm being particularly thick tonight. Do you mean that she needs supporting evidence for her English being good enough for her to do the 11+ but it deserted her on the day, or that her English not being good enough generally, but she should go to grammar school because it will improve with time? I said I was being thick.......!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear katel

No problem. I should have been clearer.

What I had in mind is the possibility that she would have been disadvantaged in the 11+ owing to ....
katel wrote:her English not being good enough generally, but she should go to grammar school
because it is improving all the time, and there is alternative evidence of very high ability (e.g. predicted level 5s for Maths and Science, strong headteacher support, good school reports).

Regards
Etienne
katel

Post by katel »

Thank you Etienne - very helpful (as usual!)

I'm shamelessly "bumping" this, just in case there is anyone here who's been in the same position - that it, taking the 11+ in a second language -and who would be willing to share their experiences.
Alex

Post by Alex »

This is a very live issue in Lincolnshire at the moment as quite large numbers of European migrants have settled here in the last few years. There is concern that the children are not able to access the Grammar schools in the selective areas of the county because their lack of English bars them from succeeding in the tests. We are waiting to see what the response to this issue will be.