What to mention at appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jellybaby

What to mention at appeal?

Post by jellybaby »

My daughter had a health issue at the time of the 1st test, which the GP is willing to back us up on.

In addition to this we have had on-going issues with the school which date back 2 yrs, as a result of which we don't feel that our DD has progressed as much as she might have done. We are unsure of how much to go into at the appeal - although we feel it is relevant to her progress, an appeal panel might think it was just sour grapes or that we are clutching at straws. Details have been emailed.

Any advice would be welcome
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear jb

Thanks for your message.

The first thing to note is that the two scores are quite respectable, so you don't need much in the way of extenuating circumstances.

As I think you realise, the panel are likely to take the view that the 11+ is a test of reasoning ability, and so the impact of any problems to do with the curriculum is minimised.

I suggest you just refer vaguely to "problems at the school". Let the panel ask you for more information if they wish, but resist the temptation to answer each question with more than a couple of sentences. If you launch into a detailed explanation, I fear it will dominate the whole appeal (when it's not necessary - with such a close score you have little to explain).

Focus on the academic case.

My advice might be different if three 5s weren't being predicted - then you would have had some explaining to do!
Etienne
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

Thanks Etienne. We'll take that on board!

Do the panel look at data of what percentage passed from each school, or how well the school performs generally. eg there must be quite a drastic difference between the top private schools, and state schools at the other end of the spectrum. Do they take this into consideration at all, or just go down the "innate ability" road? Do they or the LEA rep have any of that sort of data to hand if the conversation veered that way?

DD has been assessed as a 2 & 2 - not sure if that is good enough - we would have liked at least one 1, but can't do much about that!

Looks like another stressful Christmas - we went through a few years ago, and although it's not quite so daunting this time, it's still up there with trips to the dentist!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear jb
Do the panel look at data of what percentage passed from each school, or how well the school performs generally.
The appeal papers (received around a week before the hearing) include an appendix with information about the number of pupils qualifying at the school, and some percentages relating to the school's previous KS2 results. How much notice of this is taken, if any, rather depends on the individual panel. If you were to refer vaguely to 'problems at the school', it's likely someone on the panel will start to scrutinise the appendix!
DD has been assessed as a 2 & 2 - not sure if that is good enough - we would have liked at least one 1, but can't do much about that!
I don't think panels pay much attention to 'attitude' - the 11+ is. after all. about ability and achievement. A '1' or a '2' for the HTR (headteacher recommendation) is fine, depending on the head's standard. What I mean by that is - heads might be too strict or too lenient in their grading. The appendix includes a breakdown showing how many children at the school qualified with a '1', how many with a '2', how many with a '3'. A panel might then conclude that in a particular school a '1' looks to be over-generous, or that a '3' is too severe!

I can't pretend that the process isn't stressful, but we'll do all we can to support you. :)
Etienne
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

Many thanks! This website has been a lifesaver to me over the past 5 years, and I've lost count of the number of people I've recommended it to! There's been 3 today alone!
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

I've just been given the Appeal Summary sheet from the school for my DD and there are a few things that I am not over happy with. There teacher's comments are very bland, and could refer to any child - I'm comparing to a few years ago when my other child went to appeal, and her teacher's comments really went the extra mile. Nowhere on the report does it mention that she is in the top set for Numeracy and Literacy, (which is about the top 25%). It includes her spelling and reading ages for this time last year, which were both a year lower than the year before, so not particularly good examples to give, but no other marks. It doesn't mention that she represents the school in 2 different sports, and has done for 3 years, captaining her team for one, and being highly ranked in the area for the other.

In terms of her health issue, it just says - Recent bout of ill health. Is that a standard phrase, or could they have been more explicit? Fortunately I have an incredibly supportive letter from the GP, which does go into great detail.

Am I being unreasonable - should I go back to the school and ask them to add a few extra comments, or re-phrase certain things? I dont' expect them to lie, but it would be nice to think that the teacher could at least point out my DD strengths!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think you should take issue, but focus on the points that matter rather than launching a full scale war. :)

It does seem to me unreasonable not to mention top sets because this is certainly something an appeal panel would like to know about, and it seems unfair not to include the better test results (even if they are older).

Mention of representing the school at two different sports isn't going to help win a selection appeal, so I'd let that one pass.

The description of the health problem sounds very bland, but I wouldn't bother pursuing that one either when you have such good evidence from the GP.
Etienne
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

jellybaby, could I just recommend that you ensure your GP's letter not only describes what the health issue was, but also its likely impact on your DD's academic performance.

We weren't successful at our appeal last year, sadly, but the medical evidence from both GP and consultant did enable us to get one of DD's test scores dismissed from consideration, which it sounds like is what you are trying to do too. Good luck.
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

Thanks Rob,

Fortunately the GPs letter very strongly highlights the probable impact on DD's performance, which is great. I've also just spoken to the HT who is happy to add to the school's appeal summary, along the lines of what I wanted. There was nothing wrong with what they had written - it just was a bit lacklustre, and missed out some vital points. I feel as if we're making some progress now, and glad that I just didn't accept the report and post it off. (If I'd never been on this website, I might have done just that!)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Well done! :D
Etienne