Slough GS appeals criticised by ombudsman

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Slough GS appeals criticised by ombudsman

Post by Etienne »

The ombudsman has criticised Slough GS for "significant faults" in the handling of its appeals.

Numerous administrative flaws are listed, and the fact that the school has been publicly named shows how seriously the ombudsman views the matter.

See Appeals Forum for link.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=15484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

N.B. This refers to appeals held 1 and 2 September 2008 - the full report can be downloaded by following the link.
Etienne
chad

Post by chad »

Not surprised......

The appeals for all 'Slough' GS's have been opaque for years..... unlike the Bucks system.

First Herschel...... now Slough. It is probably only the reticence of parents, or their lack of knowledge of the appeals system, that has prevented more complaints going to the ombudsman.

Let's hope that this helps improve the sytem for future years.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Slough Grammar School 'named' again.
The Ombudsman is not satisfied with the response of Slough Grammar School to a report he issued earlier this year criticising its mishandling of school admission appeals, where it failed to follow the mandatory Code on admission appeals. He therefore issued a second (further) report.
the Ombudsman remained unsatisfied by the School’s response, and therefore issued his further report calling upon the School to consider this report and provide the full remedy he recommended.

Date Updated: 25/11/09
http://www.lgo.org.uk/complaint-outcome ... er-report/

Note: The ombudsman cannot make admission authorities do as he recommends, but he can, in effect, 'name and shame'. In practice, admission authorities are almost always willing to accept and act on what he says. This is exceptional.
Etienne
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

chad wrote:Not surprised......

The appeals for all 'Slough' GS's have been opaque for years..... unlike the Bucks system.

First Herschel...... now Slough. It is probably only the reticence of parents, or their lack of knowledge of the appeals system, that has prevented more complaints going to the ombudsman.

Let's hope that this helps improve the sytem for future years.
I think the Slough schools believe they are a law unto themselves, myself - I also think it is the same panel who hear apeals for all schools in the area, certianly it seems to be the same clerk.....not that I am biased or anything :lol:
Etienne

Re: Slough GS appeals criticised by ombudsman

Post by Etienne »

Update:
I've only just seen this, but am pleased to note that there has been an update to the ombudsman's report:

"LGO satisfied with School's response after further report: 14 June 2010"
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now