Anyone Waiting for KES (B'ham) Results

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dr Jalal

Anyone Waiting for KES (B'ham) Results

Post by Dr Jalal »

Just wondering if anyone else out there is waiting for the King Edward's School, Edgbaston, Birmingham, results, which are due out next Friday 9th February. My son had a scholarship interview on the 23rd January (following the exam on the 12th) and so we are nervously awaiting the outcome. The interview (more of a chit-chat) went very well and the Chief Master made my son feel very much at home - questions were of a general nature relating to his interests, why he wanted to attend KES, and what his ambitions and achievements were.

My son seems very determined to go to KES, although both my wife and I are not so sure. We are banking our hopes on the KEG schools (Camp Hill & Aston). Indeed, my son has asked us to seriously consider KES, particularly if he gets his 3rd or 4th choice of Grammar schools (Handsworth & Bishop Vesey, respectively).......but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it! We have to wait until the 1st of March before we get to find out whether my son has secured a place at one of the afore-mentioned Grammar Schools......so it's a case of nervously ticking off the days on the calendar.

Can anyone allay my fears with regards to rumours that Universities are discriminating against students from Independent Schools or is this just an urban myth??? I know of a couple of straight 'A' students who weren't able to secure places at top Universities to study Medicine. Indeed one of them ended up doing Pharmacy at De Montfort, even after taking a year out! This is one of the reasons both my wife and I are having second thoughts about sending my son to KES.

Any feedback or discussion would be greatly appreciated.
Dr Jalal
BromleyMum

Post by BromleyMum »

You ask whether attending an independent school disadvantages pupils wishing to go on to univeristy. It's a fair question to ask the schools you're interested in. I have heard from a friend who teaches at an independent that this is so. Subjects such as law and medicine are especially competitive, and candidates can only apply to 4 universities for medicine.

But if you think attending a grammar helps....my son attended a super selective grammar and was rejected by three of the four medical schools applied to, although he was predicted three A's and passed the BMAT ( the exam required for interview by Cambridge/Oxford ). Two of the universities didn't interview him. He was offered a place at his second choice and is now thriving.

I have thought subsequently that I should have withdrawn him from the grammar and put him in the local college at sixth form, with additional tutoring. But that's a high risk strategy and I doubt he would have been happy there. If you think secondary school transfer is difficult, wait until it's time to choose a university..... Good luck!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now