Feeling Down, unsure whether to appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dolphin21

Feeling Down, unsure whether to appeal

Post by dolphin21 »

Help & advice needed.

Our child scored 115 & 117. We knew they had a chance of passing but obviously nerves got the better of them.

Academically at the end of year 5 these are their results.
Literacy - Reading 5c, Writing 5c, excels at literacy
Maths - Test result 4b, Teacher assessment 4a
Science 4b

Do we need to find out what the school predicts for the end of year 6?
Due to meet the headteacher soon.
Has anyone ever appealed with these scores & been successful with a child achieving the above or is it not worth the stress of an appeal?

The problem being is our catchment school is not very academic & we feel our child needs to be challeged in order to get the best out of them. Discussed results with them & they asked us to try & appeal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The year 5 results look all right, but best to check what the KS2 predictions are going to be.

I'm sure there have been successful appeals with this sort of background, but more will be needed. It will depend on your overall academic case. SATs are unlikely to be enough. Ideally there should be some alternative reasoning test scores for the panel to consider. Another factor might be the strength of the headteacher's support and how well-judged it is.
Etienne
fluffster

Post by fluffster »

Dear Dolphin21,
We appealed last year with with our DD's scores of 116 and 117. We were successful, mostly I believe because we had strong support from the school, good academic results (CAT and scores in mid 120s, great Y5 school report and predicted L5s for the end of KS2). We also had excellent advice and support from everyone on this website.
If you and your child's school think a grammar is the most suitable place for him/her then I think it is worth appealing.
Good luck.
stressed mum

Post by stressed mum »

Hi
My DS got 117/113 last year and were successful in our appeal, so it can be done.
DS had all predicted 5s and had high CAT scores.
We concentrated on his academic ability but he also had a medical issue that we brought up when asked which could have had a impact on his low 11+ score. We had a GP letter backing this up.
I know how hard this is for you, you just have to go for it.
SM
dolphin21

Feeling down,unsure whether to appeal

Post by dolphin21 »

Thank you for the responses.

Now have further information.

Head teachers recommendation 2 : 1

Predicted Sats - English - 5a, Science 5a, Maths - 5c

Class teachers comments, English - advanced knowledge & understanding in literacy. Is very able in his writing (level 5) & comprehension is of a high standard.

Maths - Good understanding. Demonstrates level 5 knowledge & understanding however does not always perform in tests. Is this going to go against us?

Other comments, competitive attitude, highly recommended, independant & self motivated.

Are any of these comments going to be detrimental to our appeal? My stomach is churning just thinking of the questions we are going to be asked.
dolphin21

Post by dolphin21 »

Sorry forgot to mention, have posted some info re extenuating circumstances to email address.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi dolphin21

Nothing has appeared in the Appeals email Box yet? Please could you check and re-send the information?

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Re: Feeling down,unsure whether to appeal

Post by Etienne »

dolphin21 wrote:Thank you for the responses.

Now have further information.

Head teachers recommendation 2 : 1

Predicted Sats - English - 5a, Science 5a, Maths - 5c

Class teachers comments, English - advanced knowledge & understanding in literacy. Is very able in his writing (level 5) & comprehension is of a high standard.

Maths - Good understanding. Demonstrates level 5 knowledge & understanding however does not always perform in tests. Is this going to go against us?

Other comments, competitive attitude, highly recommended, independant & self motivated.

Are any of these comments going to be detrimental to our appeal? My stomach is churning just thinking of the questions we are going to be asked.
This should be fine. I don't think Maths is a problem. Panels like to see three level 5 predictions, and you have them.
Sorry forgot to mention, have posted some info re extenuating circumstances to email address.
Do you mean the Appeals Box? I can't see anything from you there.
Etienne
dolphin21

Post by dolphin21 »

Hi Etienne,

Had a few problems sending the email, have just sent it again. Let me know if it has not arrived, will try again.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Safely received now! We will get back to you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now