Slightly worried that no one has an opinion on Ribston!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
langkawilucy

Slightly worried that no one has an opinion on Ribston!

Post by langkawilucy »

Help!
capers

Post by capers »

My opinion is: Main hall has good acoustics, but will I get there in time this evening to get all my instruments set up, find out what parts & instruments I'm playing and get to see the music before the performance?

A chance to play through it first would be nice, but Sightreading R Us will probably be the mode today - same as the last 3 weekends with different orchestras.

At least I get chance to relax at a ceilidh in Wokingham tomorrow - despite having to be dressed in circus gear - and it's The Committee Band playing :-)

Anyway, back to Ribston. We didn't look round it last year as we'd already looked round local Stroud, and decided that either that or Archway (gasp) would best suit DD.

I've never heard anything bad about either Ribston or HSG - only good things.
langkawilucy

Post by langkawilucy »

Thanks so much for that! And I thought my life was manic!! Starting to get a little worried as no one really comments on Ribston. It seems as though it is the fall back if all else fails to get into Stroud and DR??!! 8)
capers

Post by capers »

langkawilucy wrote:It seems as though it is the fall back if all else fails to get into Stroud and DR??!! 8)
That happened last year. The previous year, DR was the fall back!

I think all of the Glos grammars have their own strengths & weaknesses, so it's down to which one will suit your child best!
alisonc

Post by alisonc »

As a parent of a Yr 7 Denmark girl. My daughter looked at both schools and chose Denmark. It was her choice. My feeling is Denmark is more academic, whereas Ribston is more dance/drama etc. Over the past few years it looks like GCSE results have been about the same, so it really is down to preference. I will say that Ribston seem to have better surroundings. A nice playing field etc. Also, for my daughter travel to DR is easier. One comment is that I think DR girls look smarter than Ribston girls. DR may have stricter rules though. Hope I've not upset anyone by mentioning this.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now