Auction site...help needed...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

Auction site...help needed...

Post by Ed's mum »

I have some items for sale at the moment.

I've been asked a question by someone who is watching an item of ours. They wanted to know what the reserve price is. Well, the reserve price is hidden. So should I tell them or should I explain that they aren't supposed to know what the reserve price is???
Our reserve price is the same as the 'buy it now' price.

I don't really understand what to do!! Help?!
andyb

Post by andyb »

I think they should be encouraged to place a bid at what they feel is a realistic price. I don't think they should be told the reserve - in a "real" auction you wouldn't know whether an item had a reserve - only the auctioneer would know. If they bid below your reserve (which they will otherwise they would "buy it now") then they will be sent a message telling them so and it will be up to them to either up their bid or drop out. Is it realistic to have the reserve and "buy it now" the same price? If I was selling something I may set b.i.n. as say £10 but I would accept £8 so would have that as my reserve.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Just tell them you have had numerous emails with some asking the same question so you feel it would be unfair to give that info out. Just to add the Buy It Now is generally a high price because often bidding doesn't go over the buy it now. You could lose out if someone buys it now rather than going to auction. This buyer will assume the reserve is lower than the buy it now.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

They are trying to be cheeky by putting in a last minute (second) bid at the reserve price.

Don't tell them unless you want to sell your item at the reserve price.
Animis opibusque parati
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Hmm I guess it depends on how many bidders you have, if they are few or none I would just tell them.

I have done it asking for a reserve price on odd occassion, they probably just hate the bidding war and would prefer to just buy if they are interested BUT in most cases they may want to negotiate that reserve price

i would say depends on how badly you want to sell and how many people are bidding for it. I dont see the problem in telling them the reserve price, in my eyes its better for your auction really because if they bid reserve price then someone may go higher.

I really hate sending emails reminding people they have won please pay me whereas if they are communicating with you now they probably need what u are selling. JUST TELL THEM I say :twisted:
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Tell us the item number and the reserve and we'll bid it up to just below the reserve for you.

:wink:
Animis opibusque parati
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

If it's an item I'm interested in, I always ask the reserve price to know if it's worth watching or putting a bid in. I have never been refused.

I would expect the reserve to be below the BIN as well, otherwise why is it on as an auction instead of just BIN. Doesn't it stay as both until the reserve is reached? Not sure.

If I'm selling, I would say the reserve but say that x people are watching & so expect the reserve to be reached. That should stop them haggling.

Anyway, good luck with it.
youngest

Post by youngest »

Am I right in thinking that if you answer a question then the question and answer goes on the page with the item?

Or can you decide not to have it on the page and respond just to the person asking the question?

Can you lower a reserve after the auction has started?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I've just replied to them and changed the reserve to a little lower than the B.I.N. price.

I told them that I felt it was UNfair to let them know as other buyers have to manage without knowing. We've got so many people watching this item that I'm not too worried if we lose them.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and apologies if I've gone against the advice you have given - it's so difficult to know what to do but I had to feel comfortable with the decision I was making.