New and it is all too much!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hector

New and it is all too much!

Post by Hector »

Hi everyone. I've been doing my share of lurking about the site for past few weeks, hoping to find answers to all my dilemas. Not happened though. Soooooo ------ I'm just going to have to jump in and throw myself at all you kind folks' feet and hope you'll help me.
Loads of issues, which I'm stressing over so bear with me please.
Firstly, I live in an area without GS and all local schools over-subscribed and huge! Including the one we're in catchment for (2200 pupils), an IT and computing school. DD currently at small state primary in class of 8 girls /28 boys (two year groups). Various difficulties with above.
Obvious conclusion, to look at private girls' schools. However, all are super-selective, exams and interviews in Jan (so very tight schedule for any prep work esp over Xmas), all have transport issues, all in cities!!!!
no-one in family has any experience of such schools and have been receiving high amounts of flak for even thinking of idea. Plus we definitely fall into wage bracket of too rich(!!!) for help too poor to pay. HELP!!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Hi. Well done for being brave enough to post!

Do you feel comfortable telling us which area of the country you live in?

Have you contacted these super selective schools yet - do you know that you are ineligible for financial help?

There are two things you need to enquire about really - bursaries and scholarships.

Keep posting. There will be people who can make suggestions; especially once we know whereabouts you live.
moved

Post by moved »

Too rich - too poor

Check carefully - bursaries are often offered in the case of what could be considered a reasonable income.
moved

Post by moved »

Regarding all of your caveats - just go for it. You will kick yourself if you don't.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Exam preparation will depend on the school but broadly speaking... Your DD needs to be able to write a structured essay and should have maths that covers ALL of the Yr6 syllabus (make sure that topics not yet covered are looked at... there should not be much but arithmetic using mixed fractions is often one of them).

Good luck.

PS

Make sure you see around the schools before accepting a place!
Animis opibusque parati
Hector

Post by Hector »

Thanks all of you for responding so quickly and kindly.

Ed's Mum, yes I've been through the trauma of contacting the schools and visited two, one alone and one with my DD, plus applied to third as well.
Also filled out all the paperwork re bursaries(in space of two days as deadlines). Scholarships -wise, academically the schools decide that themselves. Live in rural area and can't afford m/any after-school activities(time, money, transport etc), school doesn't offer anything.No stunning acheivements musically or sporting therefore. So don't stand chance at other scholarships- aren't they just paper awards rather than cash awards ? Gosh,how mercenary I sound.
Looked at other school as had drama scholarship then possible generous bursary but couldn't come up with the cash for other reg fee plus CE exam fee. Which only prompts the question why am I even bothering, if I can't find the cash right at the beginning of the process. I just want my DD to be happy and thriving. She'll be on exam/interview duty all Jan as it is.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Read on a back post by TISPY, that child has to be on G and T to qualify for scholarship anyway, which DD is not. (actually don't think current school bothers with these but she certainly isn't any kind of genius) And these girls' schools are already selective from non GS area and hugely over-subscribed (according to local gossip) and have junior schools attatched. Aren't I just putting myself and DD through horrid experiences for nothing?
SLVE, I think exams are NVR/VR/Maths/English all multi-choiceat one school.VR/maths/english all standard at other two.
Although best in her class(according to teacher)in maths, fractions, place-value, percentages are all a mystery to her. Times-tables are fab though.(kumon for you) Don't think she knows much about maths word problems.
English essay-writing, don't think they've done any, but I'd imagine she'd fail to complete anything in the time allowed as very slow writer/beginner of tasks. Good speller and fab reader. Grammar terms are great but punctuation is dreadful. NVR/VR completely new. Any chance?
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

Hector
I see that you did not respond to Ed's Mum's question about where you are located (no need to be too specific).
With the possible exception of certain parts of London it is difficult to imagine a place where all the independent schools are "superselective", especially in a non GS area.
The vast majority of independent schools are not very selective (precious few apart from the best-known are superselective), although many of them try to give that impression. In fact in rural areas, such as where we live, they usually quietly struggle to fill their allocation :roll: .

I suggest that you bite the bullet and let us know where you are. You will get better advice, and probably there is a school you have not thought of.

Also, I agree with Moving. The income thresholds for bursaries are surprisingly high.
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
Hector

Post by Hector »

FTB, I used the term super-selective to mean that the schools have a high standard of exam to get in and a pool of candiates not affected by GS selection. In this area you pay for excellence and academic acheivement rather than stand a chance of getting it via a GS. I'll bite the bullet and tell you, I'm in rural south-east too. Perhaps we're neighbours?
As to schools, DD and I are in agreement that we think an all-girls school would be the best next stage for her. These three schools are the nearest in that group and are still a long and complicated journey away. The nearer rural schools are less selective academically, but are co-ed and only give bursaries to children already in the schools. Plus are almost impossible to reach except by car (which we can't do).
I hope you and Moving are right on bursary thresholds being high, although surely that just means more people are eligible for them and therefore even less achievable? For now on that front I've done my bit, it's DD bit that's next.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

My son has a bursary (and scholarship) to an indie school. They asked nothing about being G & T. That does not mean that he isn't bright, however. The G & T register isn't a good reflection of ability though as the top 10% will be on it - so it very much depends on others in your child's cohort, and their ability, whether your child is on it or not (if you see what I mean!)

My son did have to satisfy them academically before he could be considered for a means-tested bursary.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have via PM if you would prefer - about my experiences re bursaries/scholarships.

I genuinely think you might be better off naming the schools that you are interested in so you can get some more specific help, but that's up to you. Or maybe someone who knows the area you live in can offer to reply to you by PM?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now