Strange!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dissapointed mum

Strange!

Post by dissapointed mum »

Just a point which I find quite strange, out of 10 failures of the 11+ from our school 7 of us went to appeal, all with good result, some with 119 and 120 marks, and not one of us got through the appeal.
Maybe the panels dont like independant schools!
Any thoughts!
DM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's probably a coincidence - perhaps the Head's order of suitability was not very accurate and known historically to be over ambitious.

What were the other score of those on 120? Also it's the reasons for the gap that are important not how big it is.

I'm sure there is no bias -

Post by Guest »

On an earlier post you said that out of the 16 who took the test 10 passed and 6 did not. So therefore not as many as 7 can have gone to appeal so maybe the figures are not as bad as you thought. However it does seem strange that none got through. At my sons state primary 3 went for appeal (one with 116 and two with 119 as their higher scores) and all 3 were successful. They all had good support from the head teacher.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Guest55 wrote:It's probably a coincidence - perhaps the Head's order of suitability was not very accurate and known historically to be over ambitious.

What were the other score of those on 120? Also it's the reasons for the gap that are important not how big it is.

I'm sure there is no bias -
I agree with Guest55 - I never once detected any bias in Bucks appeals.

Cases where the higher score is 119-120 are not automatically strong cases (30-40% are unsuccessful), especially if the other score is lower.
Etienne
old fossill

Post by old fossill »

You are right DM, I don't.
dissapointed mum

Post by dissapointed mum »

In reply to Guest about the number of candidates who took the test, 16 of them took the test at school, 4 took it in Aylesbury. I only found out about these afterwards, and I only found out about the results today at school.
DM
Darren

Post by Darren »

Does seem a high number of appeal failures though!!

Yes it's probably a coincidence but i'd expect at least 1 or 2 to be succesful through appeal from 7 children.

Even just to make up the ratio statistics of people who pass an appeal.

Absolutely no one got through on appeal... ? Strange,,

Any idea what the Head's reports were like for anyone else and how high where your child's DM...?
Darren

Post by Darren »

Without being nasty here,

I suppose for you it was better that everyone failed appeal in your school than all of your daughters best friends getting through, for absolutely no different reason than your daughters appeal.

that would really send me over the edge...
Darren

Post by Darren »

Sorry I meant your Son!!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I'm not from your area so don't know anything about the OOS. Are independent schools obliged to give and OOS and would it be based just on the kids doing the exam of the while class - biases the results a bit if it isn;t the whole group?

.... confused in N Yorks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now