King Edwards I School assisted places

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

King Edwards I School assisted places

Post by Guest »

My child got into the KES but as a full-fee paying place. He and I really want him to go there but can not afford it, as i dont have a 'high-flying job', so does someone here know how my child can get some assistance, so he is able to go??

I really would appreciate any ideas or thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Which KES?

if it is Birmingham then there are bursaries which will be more generous from this year.

http://www.kes.bham.sch.uk/admissions/scholarships.html

Post by Guest »

Thanks for replying.

What it is my child has got a place in the King Edwards Independant school, but he was given a assisted place, so we will have to pay the full fees.

I understand what you are saying about bursaries, but we havnt been given that, do i need to apply for one because i thought i did that and they didnt offer us it...now i am confused!?!

So can someone tell me, after being offered a place, how can we get assistance. I am not on a high wage, i get very little, so i know this wasn't means-tested, because otherwise we would have been offered some assistance...does anyone understand what i am trying to say??

please, reply with any suggestions, even if you are not sure, i just need some ideas as my child and i really want him to go there, thanks!

Post by Guest »

Hi,

unfortunately, the prospectus says "The assisted places scheme supports about a dozen pupils in each year." So while you are successful in gaining a place it doesn't look as if you are one of the 12 or so who receive the necessary assistance.

Might be worth speaking to the school to clarify but that's my interpretation I'm afraid.
I sympathise with your situation I don't think they communicate that the assisted places are so limited in numbers

Post by Guest »

Hiya,

thanks for the reply, but is there no other way of getting assistance other than from the school itself?

Post by Guest »

I'm not aware of any other means. Sorry.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Unfortunately not - unless you can turn the clock back about 35 years :roll: to when most of us who went didn't have to pay fees
and if they did pay fees there was a lot of assistance available to those on low income. One friend's mother paid £5 a term for her to go.

Post by Guest »

what about sponsorship?
Dibble

Re: King Edwards I School assisted places

Post by Dibble »

Anonymous wrote:My child got into the KES but as a full-fee paying place. He and I really want him to go there but can not afford it, as i dont have a 'high-flying job', so does someone here know how my child can get some assistance, so he is able to go??

I really would appreciate any ideas or thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
Look at the 'School Fees' link here;
http://www.isciscentral.i-n-f-o
Removing the hyphens from the URL

[ FORUMADMIN PLEASE NOTE: URLs in the i-n-f-o TLD are content censored!! ]

My general feeling is that this is an unproductive line to follow - especially given the short time you have. Of course I don't really know anything so I'll be quite happy to be wrong. :-)

Have you been asked if you'd like to join a waiting list for assisted places? Have you not also applied to the KEVI Grammar schools?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Thanks for replying.

What it is my child has got a place in the King Edwards Independant school, but he was given a assisted place, so we will have to pay the full fees...
i was, meant to say 'but he was NOT given a assisted place', sorry for confusion.