VR - LETTER SEQUENCES

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BUCKSMUM

VR - LETTER SEQUENCES

Post by BUCKSMUM »

I have downloaded the epapers from Tutors website and working through them with my son. Unfortunately I am stuck on Practice paper 1B example for questions 29-35. We have managed to work out the answers to the questions but cannot work out how to arrive at the answer in the example:

DR ER FP GP ( )

Answer is HQ

We can arrive at H but do not understand how to get Q. Please help.

Post by Guest »

Good Point maybe Mike Can assist.

Doesn't look correct.

I'd Say answer was HN

Post by Guest »

first letter of the first set in this sequence is D then in second set E and for third F and fourth set G so next one would be H for fifth set
second word of first set is R and reapted in second set as well. in thrid set -1(R) its P and repeated in fourth set as well so for fifth set P(-1) it should be Q.
i am sure there would be some other easier way to explain it.good luck.

agree

Post by Guest »

i think last guest is right as it seems very easy and simple.i do agree with above guest.
Darren

Post by Darren »

Anonymous wrote:first letter of the first set in this sequence is D then in second set E and for third F and fourth set G so next one would be H for fifth set
second word of first set is R and reapted in second set as well. in thrid set -1(R) its P and repeated in fourth set as well so for fifth set P(-1) it should be Q.
i am sure there would be some other easier way to explain it.good luck.

I'd also say HN ...

(P - 1) = O

It is very early for me though,,

misprint

Post by Guest »

oh yes darren you are right p-1 = O
so may be its misprint on answer booklet or is it possible to to look at it as PPRRQ (in reverse order) rather than RRPPO? it doesn't make any sense, what do you think?
Darren

Post by Darren »

I cannot see the logic in getting answer Q from the second words, tried lots of different ways chopped the alphabet in half etc

Still can't get a LOGIC answer of HQ.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

Yes probably a misprint, just inform forumadmin and they will put right almost immediately.

DR ER FP GP

Never treat as a pair. Look at first letter of each pair, find the sequence. Look at the second letter of each pair, find the sequence.

D to E = +1
E to F = +1
F to G= +1
Next in sequence = +1
G +1 = H

R to R = +0
R to P = - 2
P to P = +0
Next in sequence= - 2
P -2 = N

Hope this clarifies

Patricia
Darren

Post by Darren »

Many thanks for your clear explanation I was expecting Mike to confirm some strange method of getting letter Q from all of this.

I'm surprised it hasn't been spotted before...

I was looking at guest's explanation and thought I was losing my marbles...

Darren,
BUCKSMUM

VR LETTER SEQUENCES

Post by BUCKSMUM »

Dear all

Many thanks for your prompt responses.

My son and I did manage to get HN but as the answer given was HQ we thought we were doing it wrong. We thought as these papers are used by so many, the answers cannot be wrong (or if a misprint, would have been spotted earlier).

Thank you once again for helping us.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now