Need to speak to a expert in Statementing

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Morning Glory

Need to speak to a expert in Statementing

Post by Morning Glory »

We are currently going through the appeals process for Bucks and if anyone has been reading the thread it is a very complex and complicated case. My DS was diagnosed with Aspergers in June and has since had various assessments which has shown all sorts of difficulties he is having.

I have mainly been told that I won't get a statement of SEN because he is managing to keep up and doesn't have any behavioural problems. At first I agreed that I didn't think he needed a statement but now I am starting to think that he probably does.

Can anyone help?

MG
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

I have sent you a pm.
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

Greta

Don't seem to have received PM can you resend.

Thanks
MG
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The new statementing process is even more difficult than before. You need to know what it is you feel a statement would provide that is not already in place at the moment (you cannot get a statement on FUTURE needs. It depends very much on how well the school manages , with (School Action Plus) or without (School Action) outside agency help.

Have you spoken to the school Senco?

It may be worth getting in touch wioth partnership with Parents or teh Bucks equivalent. If you do decide to go ahead with appyling for an assessment for a statement (or teh school applies for one) they will be able to talk you through and support you during the process- which is daunting even for someone who is used to it.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Well worth asking Parent Partnership for advice.
We are a countrywide service working at 'arms length' from the local authority and providing impartial information, advice and support to parents of children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities. We also provide a consultation forum for parents to formally put their issues and concerns to officers from education, health and social care.

Bucks County Council, Hampden Hall, Wendover Road
Aylesbury
Bucks
HP22 5TB

parentp@buckscc.gov.uk

01296 383754
Etienne