bucks appeal, VI child

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rash

bucks appeal, VI child

Post by Rash »

Thank you Sally-Anne for the PM.
DD scored 111 at her 11+ tests. I am thinking of appealing, DH thinks the score is too low to appeal (so have an extra job on my hands trying to convince him) :( !!! He will support me in whatever I do but it feels like he will be doing it for me :!:
DD has an SEN statement 20 hours lsa support, enlarged materials,laptop (hardly used at present, will be used more in secondry sch.) Her NFER test result were above average in year 4(I have misplaced the results) she moved sch in yr5. her present school don't do CATs or NFER. end of year test working towards L4 (3A) but the test were taken without extra time given. However, she will be provided 50% extra time in her KS2 SATs. Her strong subject Maths and science. I don't think her HT will support us the school is known to be not very supportive with re: 11+ appeals even if the child is 2 points short.
Sally-Anne how do you post stuff in the appeals box my doc are on paper. Also, how do I start the appeal process when I clearly know the school are not going to support.
DD was the first VI child the school ever had exp of. It was a mistake from our side to move her when we did. It seems that she had to start all over.

Any advise will be appreciated
Thanks
Rash
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Rash

Using the appeals box is just sending an email. You either have to scan documents - if you have a scanner - or you have to type.

You obviously have extenuating circumstances. The question for an appeal panel is 'what evidence is there of high academic ability?'

Possibilities are listed here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11

If the school won't support you, you may have to consider an educational psychologist's report (which will either give you some supporting evidence, or it won't!). See the Q&As for more information about EP reports.
Etienne
Rash

Post by Rash »

Dear Etienne,

Thank you for your reply. I will try to scan the papers and post them to you.
I have also booked an EP assessment for the 10th Jan, is that going to be late?

Thanks

Rash
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

is that going to be late?
It depends when your hearing is.

If you haven't submitted your papers yet, I suggest you write "not available before 1st February".

You need to allow (1) time for the EP to write up the report, (2) time for you to consider it. If you decide to use the report as evidence, you ought to submit it at least 7-10 days before the hearing, so that the panel have the opportunity to study it beforehand. Complicated documents such as an EP report are unlikely to be accepted at the last minute, and would probably result in an adjournment - this in turn could possibly mean having no appeal decision until after the first round of allocations.
Etienne
Rash

Post by Rash »

Hi Etienne,

I have posted some info through the appeal box. Please advise.

Rash
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for the reports, Rash.

The SATs levels are not high enough, which would make it difficult for the school to support an appeal, but the lack of extra time may of course be a factor.

An EP assessment is not strictly timed, so it will be interesting to see what results it comes up with.
Etienne
Rash

Post by Rash »

Dear Etienne,

Could you advise on what to include in appeal from those reports. Also, I have posted a letter for you to look at, if thats ok.
Many thanks
Rash
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Rash

The letter is OK, but someone not as familiar with the details as you are might get a bit confused as to who the various people are. Before quoting the email I would suggest you list the people involved and what their job is.

At the end, I would suggest writing "Further details of case to follow". You can then decide - 7-10 days before the hearing - what evidence to submit.
Etienne
Rash

Post by Rash »

Dear Etienne,

I have taken your advise and ammended the letter. You didn't say what other paper work I can include in the appeal case. The school will not be supporting, so I have'nt got the HT summary :(
Can I include the SEN Statement? I have sent off the form but as you suggested put down further evidence to follow.

Regards

Rash
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Rash

The statement is likely to be something you would submit, but I was thinking you could see what the EP has to say, and keep your options open until nearer the hearing.
Etienne