How do I explain lower Verbal CAT scores

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lakmer

How do I explain lower Verbal CAT scores

Post by lakmer »

My DS for 114 and 118 in the bucks exam. He is may born. He is graded as 2 for potential and 1 for attitute. Got the 5,5,5 for SAT's.

His CAT for the last 3 years are 114,117,117 for vr
126,123,123 for quant
128,124,135 for nvr
and had a spelling reading and spelling age of 11.2 and 11 (as of May 09).

Head teacher is fully supportive, and teachers reports are positive.

WIll his CAT vr results count against him in the appeal process?

On extenuating circumstances,
Will it help to mention that English is a second language?
Also he found out his grandfather had cancer 10 days before the exams?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi lakmer

Althought the CATs results for VR are lower, that is probably the key to your appeal. The Bucks test is Verbal Reasoning, and that is clearly a weakness for your son, compared to the rest of his CATs scores.

You can therefore argue that this particular test is not a test of your son's ability.

Your extenuating circumstances are both valid, and English as a second language only reinforces the case on VR. Don't overdo it though!

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I agree. Your best argument looks like being that your son is stronger on the Maths side.

10 days is quite close to the test. Do you have any proof? It will also carry more weight if grandfather was living with you or not far away.

Was your son born in the UK, and has he almost always lived here? If so, best not to mention it unless the panel ask. As Sally-Anne suggests, don't overdo the weaker points. On the other hand, if you came to the UK in the last few years, it could be a compelling argument.
Etienne
lakmer

appeal

Post by lakmer »

I am very concered about the vr scores and feel do i really have a chance at appeal. Also would a EP report help (thinking of all the VR score is there a reason for this) not sure what to do.

HELP
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I am very concered about the vr scores
But we've told you how to deal with that - your son's NVR is exceptional, and his strengths lie elsewhere. :)
Also would a EP report help
It might - it depends what its findings are.
do i really have a chance at appeal
Yes, almost everyone has some sort of chance, but there are no certainties. I would hazard a guess that you have anything from a 50% to 25% chance.
Etienne
lakmer

Ep report

Post by lakmer »

We did an EP test to see if this would help.

I have got the following results

Verbal comprehension 126 (96%ile)
Perceputual Reasoning 112 - 79%ile
Working Memory - 113 - 81%ile
Processing Speed - 106 - 66%ile

Word Reading - 97 = 42%ile age 10.4yrs
Spelling - 113 = 81%ile 13.8
Comrehension - 121 - 92%ile = 13.4yrs
Numerical Opeations - 108 - 70 = 11.8

current age is 10.7

Is this useful, useless or whatg should I look at. I wasa bit puzzled at the verbal as his VR scores are the issue.
lakmer

EP report

Post by lakmer »

would you submit the full report which is 15 pages or get a summary on this
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Interesting! The VCI of 126 is unexpectedly good, and helps your case (if not for the reasons we were considering!). I'm wondering if the relative weakness in processing speed (which ought to count, at least, as an extenuating circumstance) goes some way to explain the lower VR scores in CATs and the 11+? Did the EP draw any conclusions?
would you submit the full report which is 15 pages or get a summary on this
Difficult to comment without knowing what the full report says - and what the summary might focus on.
Etienne
dyslexichelpneeded

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

I wonder if the relatively low word reading compared with the high comprehension level implies a (relative) problem in decoding words? It looks to me like your DS is able to use context to identify meaning, but that for words in isolation, he may have more trouble. He possibly hasn't been taught to look at all the symbols in a word and decode them. This *might* go some way to explain the low VR scores, since these rely on isolated word reading, and not contextual word reading. Though having said all that, I don't know how the VCI is tested - does the child have to read a passage, or is it based on purely oral responses to oral questions?
lakmer

reply to dyslexichelpneeded

Post by lakmer »

Thanks for your comments. It was different passages of different complexities, where an oral response was given.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now