Interview process

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

Interview process

Post by Looking for help »

My daughter has two interviews lined up for February from two different universities. Can anyone explain how this process works - neither are Oxford or Cambridge , both are Maths courses.
I just wonder whether they interview all appllicants :shock: or only those they would send conditional offers to :lol: . The problem is, she is a worrier and afraid that her nerves may get in the way of being offered a place if it all comes down to the interview.
Thanks for any advice
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think each univeristy varies in who they interview, some interview every candidate and others never interview - just send offers. Check the uni prospectus and they may say that they interview a sample, usually if you have been selected for interview it means that you are on the way to a place.

Can she get some interview practice? .. worth thinking through the questions they might ask. Maybe try some of the student forums (eg The student room???? I think) - there may be some info about what the interviews are like and who they interview - or maybe she can register and ask the question.
Looking for help

Cheers Herman, that's a good idea, we'll have a look, hopefully get some tips :lol:
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

Agree with Hermanmunster, best place to look would be The Student Room forum under university courses/maths and under the individual unversity sections.
dyslexichelpneeded

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

Your DD's school should be able to offer her interview practice.
KB

Post by KB »

Agree that it depends on the University.
If the offer isn't dependent at all on the 'interview' then they usually make an offer & then 'invite' you to an Open Day.
However there are believed to be some Universities who decide if they will make you an offer simply on whether you actually go to the interview.
Alternatively, the level of offer could be decided by the interview & in some cases the offer isn't determined by the interview but whether they will take you if you miss the offer conditions in the summer is!
Some schools keep records of previous students' experiences at different Universities. Can range from quick chat that basically goes over PS to asking student to work through some questions.
Apart from Oxford & Cambridge I dont think that many other Universities still interview large number of students above & beyond the number they can take so she should be reassured :)
Hope the interviews go well.
Looking for help

Had a look at student room website, great information on there.Thanks for your help. And of course youre right DHN...hopefully the school will come up with some advice.
Thanks again