AGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Midget Man

AGS

Post by Midget Man »

Hello. Myself and Midget Man are going for a school visit tomorrow and we are being show round by 6th formers. I just wondered if there were any particuolar question's you think we should ask etc? Midget is very excited to go and view it :D

Anyone e,se have a child at AGS and have any opinion's on the school?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Aww MM...we thought you were coming to RLS!
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Marylou
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

We went to see it recently and DS really liked it. It came across as friendly and very caring, and the sport side of things was great - a must in our family. DD goes to AHS across the road (loves it) and the two schools manage to get together for discos etc They also get to know each other on the bus. :D
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

Could always ask if they know the two lads featured on Road Wars earlier this week
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi MM

There is a superb Sticky here on questions to ask when looking around schools:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=7611

Sally-Anne
dejavu

AGS

Post by dejavu »

I am sure Midget will love it. My DS goes there and is now in year 10 and he is still thriving. It was touch and go for a while as he got 120 and 118 for the 11+. Fortunately we won the appeal (don't know how we managed that one, as it was before I found this wonderful forum, and I did everything wrong) and he got into his first choice.

I think it has a wonderful work ethos and nurtures "individuals", and when we looked around, it was obvious that the boys were really proud of their school and realised how lucky they were to have such a privileged educational opportunity. There are tons of clubs -apart from sporting ones, eg fencing, chess, drama, Chinese, and painting those funny little models.

DS said in his first year they seemed quite strict - prefects used to check that they had black socks, top button done up and shirts tucked in, before going into assembly. And they have to wear their blazers (especially for exams) unless the teacher tells them they need not. But that type of disciple might not be such a bad thing, with all those testosterone hormones ranging.

AGS is also really hot on giving regularly reports on their performance - quality of homework, expected levels, levels attained. Now he is in year 10, don't think he finds it quite as strict (though I won't mention the saga of him having to spend the last day before they broke up in isolation as he decided to put bright scarlet hair dye in his hair the night before - I warned him not to do it!). I think he might have got away with it, but it poured down on the way to school and all of his shirt turned pink! Think he learned his lesson.

Good luck - I am sure he will thrive and enjoy any of the schools he goes to. Let me know what you think of it.
many thanks
dejavu
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Thanks guy's shame I had already left this morning before seeing that great link SA :lol:

Dejavu-That is great to hear from a parent who's already involved with AGS. we both loved it there today and Midget would be in his element with all the sporting activitie's and also the chess and warhammer :D it was Mufti Day so didn't get to see them all in uniform but they all seemed very well behaved and not screaming and shouting or anything like that.

Well now we will just have to wait and see what happen's in March but AGS is our first choice.
heartmum

Re: AGS

Post by heartmum »

dejavu wrote:My DS goes there and is now in year 10 and he is still thriving. It was touch and go for a while as he got 120 and 118 for the 11+. Fortunately we won the appeal (don't know how we managed that one, as it was before I found this wonderful forum, and I did everything wrong) and he got into his first choice.
DD achieved same scores ... appeal mid January ... your comments have given me a glimmer of hope :idea: :)

I have a friend who's DS went to AGS, he absolutely loved it there and was very sad to leave! He's now at University!
Heartmum x x x
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I so,so hope your appeal will be successful HM, can only imagine what you must be going through still having to think about it all, hopefully you'll be able to forget about it enough to enjoy xmas :)

What GS's are you hoping for HM? Is there a particular one your DD wanted?

Dejavu-I also saw quite a few of the girls from AHS walking along the boy's school to use the swimming pool and they were all well behaved too!
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

DD loved AHS ... really wants to go there, but at moment I'm trying to play it down saying "but you really liked the local school, didn't you?"

However, not sure her argument for the girls grammar is altogether for the right reasons, "having two little brothers, why would I want to go to a mixed school ... two at home is more than enough" :roll: :roll:
Heartmum x x x