Oxbridge Interview

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Chelmsford mum

Oxbridge Interview

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi,
Don't know if this is of any use to anyone.........
A friend of mine's child had an interview for law at Oxford very recently.They opted to stay in a hotel the night before. The interview went fairly well but when they arrived the interviewee was given a paper about a real court case to study and give a response to later that day, in another part of the interview process.
Just thought it worth mentioning that those that had chosen to stay on campus were given the paper the night before and some pointers about how the day would run.My friend's child just had a letter with place , date and "interview day" as details.They obviously wish they had not opted for a hotel!
Not a disaster, as they have excellent back up offers but just thought might be a useful piece of information.I also have other details of the day if anyone wants to pm me.Fortunately my children are a long way from all this. :shock:
solimum

Post by solimum »

Definitely recommend staying in college if offered - my DS had to stay in Oxford for 2 or 3 nights for a series of Maths interviews (two years ago now, hard to recall exactly) and there were existing students on hand to look after the candidates, various evening social events, all aimed to help them feel more relaxed.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Thanks Solimum. It would seem a worthwhile thing to do for lots of reasons...
My friend thought it would be a nice treat to stay at a hotel. I hope I remember all these things when our turn comes, but then again, I will probably still be posting on here :oops: :oops: Hopelessly addicted
KB

Post by KB »

Hi
Just be careful about posting interview details while they are still going on - some Universities really dont like it & it can be unfair to candidates.
General advice such as you have given is absolutely fine I am sure :) but be careful about specific questions etc.
Some of the student forums advise very strongly against it & some Colleges specifically tell applicants not to discuss details until all interviews have finished.
Wouldn't worry too much about your friend's daughter - I am sure the interviewers take account of how long the candidates have to prepare - they are usually pretty good at spotting those with the abilities required to thrive under their 'teaching' methods.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

KB wrote:Hi
Just be careful about posting interview details while they are still going on - some Universities really dont like it & it can be unfair to candidates.
General advice such as you have given is absolutely fine I am sure :) but be careful about specific questions etc.
Some of the student forums advise very strongly against it & some Colleges specifically tell applicants not to discuss details until all interviews have finished.
Wouldn't worry too much about your friend's daughter - I am sure the interviewers take account of how long the candidates have to prepare - they are usually pretty good at spotting those with the abilities required to thrive under their 'teaching' methods.
Thank you....I do appreciate your comments but I feel a general tip off of this kind doesn't hurt as you say.
Many schools are prepping children for such interviews whilst many, especially in the state sector, often get no advice at all.(as in the case of my friend :cry: )
I was just trying to alert people to the importance of taking the offer of staying at the college..I certainly wouldn't divulge specific questions, in fact couldn't, as I didn't grill my friend regarding this..
I do take your point though....thank you. :D
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I can't believe you've given anything away here CM...this is a virtual playground, surely?
KB

Post by KB »

Sorry if upset anyone - wasn't for one moment suggesting that anything already said was the slightest inappropriate nor that there is anything wrong in sharing information after the event (as many schools do) just flagging the need for care during the interview process.
Agree that many schools do alot of prep but think most colleges are getting quite good at recognising over prepared students!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

KB wrote:Sorry if upset anyone -
You didn't and you made a good point :D

As with all areas of education there is not a "level playing field" and some schools seem better at preparation than others. :cry:
Hopefully you are right KB and they can spot the over prepped ones :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now