extended writing test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anxiousyear

extended writing test

Post by anxiousyear »

Another plea for help from this new member. Does anyone know how much a child is, ideally, expected to write in 50 mins? I know it can be only a rough guide.

My DD was reading at age 3 and has always and continues to read widely. She has a wonderful vocabulary and is very articulate. Her scores both in VR and in English tests I have done with her (I know Medway don't do English) are very encouraging. But she has a total block with creative writing. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas of how to get round it?

Thanks.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

hi - me again :lol: It really depends what the writing task is. If its a story and the child gets into it quickly i suspect thay could write a page and a half of a4 paper. If its a letter task then it may be shorter.

dd1 who is in year 10 now was the same as your dd, good at comprehension etc but just could not get ideas down for creative writing. She only scored 98 on the writing but much higher on vr so as all the papers are added together the vr pulled her through into a pass. dd2, who took the test this year, is a good creative writer and scored 120 but only 99 on the vr, :lol: so dont worry if she is only an average writer , the maths and vr can get her the pass.

Do you know what writing level your dd is at school. I was told end of year 5 that dd2 got a level 5 in the sats writing task and a teacher assessment of a 4a for writing. dd1 was at writing level 4b.

Hope this helps, fire away with any questions.
anxiousyear

Post by anxiousyear »

Thanks tiredmum. That is encouraging. I don't know what my dds writing level is at school. I shall ask.
medwaymum

Re: extended writing test

Post by medwaymum »

anxiousyear wrote:Another plea for help from this new member. Does anyone know how much a child is, ideally, expected to write in 50 mins? I know it can be only a rough guide.

My DD was reading at age 3 and has always and continues to read widely. She has a wonderful vocabulary and is very articulate. Her scores both in VR and in English tests I have done with her (I know Medway don't do English) are very encouraging. But she has a total block with creative writing. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas of how to get round it?

Thanks.
Hi Anxiousyear - the writing tasks can be very different...from a story which is probably more lengthy to a leaflet where you are more limited on how much to write. I would suggest to not focus on how much ishe is writing, but the different types. Look at letters, newspaper articles, playscripts for ideas. Practice different settings, characters etc. You have plenty of time for all this before it has to come together next Sep/Oct. Goodluck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now