Feeling happy today

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Feeling happy today

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I decided that it was time that my boys learnt to be independent today. It was getting to a point that they were becoming nervous doing anything without me and I was feeling quite ashamed about this area of parenting that I clearly wasn't doing too well.

So this morning I sent them into Ealing to buy Christmas presents on one of the busiest days of the year. Maybe not the best plan but certainly a baptism of fire and if they could get this right - lots of people, busy traffic, freezing - then they could do a lot more. I gave them a time limit of 2.5 hours as they had never bought presents before and I assumed they would be indecisive.

Well, 40 minutes later they were back home. :shock: Had been to tesco (which was mobbed), tie rack, H.Samuel and a perfume and card shop. I have no idea how they did that and walked just over 1/2 a mile to the shops and back home in 40 minutes - must take after their dad! :lol: So now they think they can take on the world and I have my ready made servants who can go and buy me a pint of milk when I run out. :D Unfortunately DS1 informed me that DS2 was trying to dodge the cars whilst crossing the road rather than waiting for the green man, so he is not going out on his own without risk averse DS1 for the forseeable future. Of course his mother has not been a good role model in this department. :oops:

Sorry for the waffle, but I am incredibly pleased and proud and I am now planning their first solo underground trip! :wink:

EDIT: Oh dear, started writing this feeling really chuffed and now feel a bit weepy as this is the first step to my boys really growing up and eventually away from their very needy mother. :cry:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

They'll still need you Tipsy, even when they are more independent.

Perhaps do the independent underground journey in stages. Initially get them reading the maps. Then maybe get them to problem solve a situation where you get off a stop or two after you need to 'accidentally'.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks for the undeground advice. The first one will be basic - get on the train at X and get off at Y (Dad's work stop) and meet Dad for lunch. I have to pick my times wisely. Don't want them stuck on an empty carriage with a weirdo but don't want the train to be heaving either.

Off to make 200 truffles now but ran out of cream so had to sent them back to the corner shop - I could get used to this! :wink:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

What makes all this even more incredibly brave is they do it without mobiles!!

Well done Mummy Tipsy and well done Tipsy children.

Hopefully in the New Year the patter of tiny feet will distract you all the more and the boys will become instantly independent over night :D :D :D
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

You mentioned the P word! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I was going to give them my blackberry (Iknow, principles out the window) but OH, who was feaking out about them going in the first place, said no.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

So, he was more worried about your Blackberry than he was the boys!! Bad Daddy!!!! :shock: :cry: :lol:

I did NOT mention the P word, I just alluded to it - totally different! :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

and after all the invaluable help I gave you about budgies - I mean I practically picked it out and tamed it for you! :evil: :lol:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Ha, you said it would be chavvy with a Leeds accent! :twisted:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Er...I would like you to find the comment where I used te word chavvy! Libel could come in handy what with my broken car. 8)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Implied, as with the P word!!!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now