RGS catchment area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scotty

RGS catchment area

Post by scotty »

This is now crucial as once you get the a 121 pass mark, the main factor
seems to be distance from the school, within the catchment area.
I'm happy with where the area is , but of course getting 121 and being in it is no guarantee of a place.
How exactly does it work- is it distance from the school by public road, or as the crow flies, or what?

Also, how did last years entrance go, our primary school in B'field got about 12 boys in. Did everyone in the area who passed get a place? If not, how far out did the tide go?
I gather this years allocations are on 1st March?
Ours is taking in Oct.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The distance is measured as the crow flies from a particular point on the school site - each year the LA post the allocation profile - September 2006 is on:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... 1902924256

They will post this year's later - it does vary from year to year depending on how many children there are in the year group, how many achieve the 121, where they live, which school they choose etc. etc.

Post by Guest »

Please do not post if you are not sure of the answer to a question. Distance from home to school is emphatically NOT measured on an "as the crow flies" basis. Although RGS is a Foundation School, and therefore sets its own admission rules, it largely follows BCC's own rules. BCC's guidance (linked within the page guest55 linked to!) explains, for RGS:
Where oversubscription occurs … then places will be allocated according to the distance between the family’s normal home address and the school’s nearest entrance gate: closest first. We will use the same distance definition and measuring system as used by Buckinghamshire County Council.
and the measuring system used by BCC is the "shortest appropriate route":
Shortest appropriate route - the shortest appropriate route between a preferred school and your normal home address will be measured by computer, using our geographical information system. We use a database that combines the Ordnance Survey ‘Integrated Transport Network’ (ITN) data as at 17 November 2006 plus a database of footpaths, entered on our system before 17 November 2006, which have a proper made-up surface such as tarmac or concrete. If you think that your child’s ‘shortest appropriate route’ may include footpaths or roads which may not already be included in our database, please check this with us before 17 November 2006.
To the original poster - you might find that asking the school or BCC directly would have avoided this misinformation.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Dear guest,

Guest55 has made a huge contribution to this forum in the recent weeks.

Please follow the forum rules:
Rule 1: Be Polite
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=148
Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Thank you Catherine - the rules have obviously been amended since we applied - I would not post a deliberately misleading message -
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Catherine

Totally agree with your comments, we all make mistakes, myself included, it's what makes us human.

There are ways and means of pointing out someones mistakes.....

Dear Guest55

Again I agree with Catherine you have made some very useful, accurate posts. Been meaning to back you up in the SATs debate for some time.

Why don't you register, its totally confidential, you do not have to use your real name.

Patricia
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Totally agree with Catherine and Patricia.

Guest55 is a most welcome contributor, with a wealth of useful information.

Guest55, Thankyou for your help, and I hope you won't be put of by one poster.

BW
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have now registered - no I won't be put off -

Post by Guest »

I sincerely apologise for any offence given. I have a rather curt style at times I'm afraid, but I do stand by a request to all posters not to post until they are sure of their answer, and I'm also afraid it was, strictly, misinformation.

I have read this forum much in the past few weeks, and there is some superb information on it, and guest55 is a very valuable contributor. Now and then, however, something is posted which is plainly wrong, which could harm someone else's application, and which could easily have been checked by speaking to the Admission Authority concerned.

Again, though, apologies.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

As I said I would not have posted if I thought what I was saying was incorrect - Waddesdon operates a straight line policy:

Deciding Factor: In the event of over subscription in any of the categories, places will be awarded according to the proximity of the pupil's home to the school measured by the shortest distance. This is to be a straight line to the Founder's stone from the nearest boundary point of the pupil's home. (Governors use the LA to operate the GIS mapping system to establish accurate distances)

There are ways of correcting people which I hope you will adopt in future
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now