Tiffin Girls Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mynameisbond

Tiffin Girls Test

Post by mynameisbond »

Perfectly understand why the previous posting re the Tiffin Girls test was suspended as some of the queries were discussing aspects of the test in too much detail. Was just wondering though if any queries re the test will be ok once the extra test has been held on Jan 7 for those who couldn't take the initial test ? Am desperate to ask some specific questions but know I can't yet !!
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

I wouldn't advise it.... there have been very late testers in the past.

In March would be good... but we won't really care by then!

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Even later than Jan.....I am very surprised. Just wanted to generally ask what your DDs thought - was it easier or harder than expected. What did they think re NVR versus VR and is anyone aware in terms of percentages what is normally the cut off point ? I have read all the postings re 233 being required, but obviously that is a standardised mark and not a percentage - if any mathematicians out there may be able to turn any such marks into percentages it would make it a bit easier to understand in real terms just how well our DDs need to do !!

Many thanks
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Haven't had any replies to my posting yet and was wondering whether anyone out there was able to help me with my percentage question ?

Many thanks
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

I understand there are still late testers to go... even at this late stage...

To your question... no idea. Never seen any raw scores so there is no way of knowing.

Given the normalisation it doesn't really matter what the raw mark is... it's how you perform relative to your peers....

... only a few weeks to go now!

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Nou

Post by Nou »

My daughter sat the exam this year. There is no mystery, it is the same as other GLA tests and she thought it was similar in difficulty to HBS. As for percentages, I know several girls at the school who think you need to be getting over 85% in practice tests (dk which ones). It has been reported on this forum that able girls getting over 90% have not got in - so it depends on the level of the other candidates and how many mistakes you make on the day!
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

There are no more girls to sit the exams, the final group sat on 14th January. With regard to percentage when my daughter sat the exam a few years ago we worked out that she got 82.5% and she got in from the waiting list, but there were just under 900 girls who sat the exam that year. This year there were just under 1300 girls (headteacher told us in a letter) so I'm sure that will make a difference.
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Thanks Louise ...the waiting is far worse than I ever imagined it would be. DD has just found out she has a scholarship from an independent school but she desperately wants Tiffin (and so do we !) Does anyone have any great ideas how to make the waiting a little less anxious??

Many thanks
keepcalmandcarryon

Post by keepcalmandcarryon »

No idea at all as I am in the same boat! I was wondering if the extra 80 out of catchment places at Wallington and Nonsuch would affect Tiffins. Are there any parents out there who have applied to Tiffins as well but would take a place at Nonsuch or Wallington? I thought we might be able to see the results on-line on March 1st as that is offer day but you still have to wait until 0700 on March 2nd which I think is ridiculous as the system will have been updated. Having worked in ICT it seems strange to develop a system to automate applications and replies but still 'have to wait for the post'?!! Yes the 1 day does count!
keepcalmandcarryon

Post by keepcalmandcarryon »

PPS - congratulations on your scholarship place by the way - was it your first choice independent?