Reading Ages - evidence?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mackammum

Reading Ages - evidence?

Post by mackammum »

Dear 11+ team

Firstly- what a great website!! Thank you.

I am a Bucks mum appealing against non qualification for a GS. I have submitted my initial 'evidence' but still feel unsure about my appeal hearing 'speech'.

One piece of evidence I want to use and press home is his reading age as you suggest on this website that a high reading age can be a good supporting factor in an appeal.

When aged 10yrs 1mnth, my son was tested and had a reading age of 14yrs 2mths - I feel this is significant. What I would like to know is what is the significance of this (in terms of the appeal) and how do I use to support my case?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

When aged 10yrs 1mnth, my son was tested and had a reading age of 14yrs 2mths - I feel this is significant. What I would like to know is what is the significance of this (in terms of the appeal) and how do I use to support my case?
A single test result may or may not be reliable, but it's there on the record, and - if not contradicted by the results of other reading tests - is one piece of evidence that suggests high ability.

All you have to say is "Could I draw your attention to the very high reading age shown on page .....?" It won't win an appeal on its own, but it helps. What usually counts is the totality of the academic evidence, and hopefully there will be other strong points you can highlight as well.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now