St Olaves Exam in 2009

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

inspired2win

St Olaves Exam in 2009

Post by inspired2win »

Can anyone comment on how the recent St Olaves exam went in November?

What was the English Essay topic on and how long was the comprenhension?

Thanks
inspired2win
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi there DS did St O's this year (Nov 2009).

****** I seem to remember that the previous year it had been to write a letter. Overall he didn't think it too bad - but he had been very well prepped for the Kent 11+ and did well in it, so he was in the "exam" mindset.

Also, he is at a prep school where they do a lot of English comprehension, grammar, creative writing etc so this may have helped. They are also working at a quite high level in maths - though I do think that the questions at the end of the paper were verging on very hard and I am not sure that he is confident about them.

The thing we found with St O's was getting info about past papers - there are none! All you can get is an abridged version of the previous year's paper and we got this from the website and were also given a copy when we went to the Open Morning.

When asked how the exams went his reply was "Fine" - but what does that actually mean to a 10 year old!!!! Hope this helps - will be interesting to see on 2nd March whether his assessment of the situation was correct!!!

If he thinks of anything else I will post.

test content removed by a moderator
patricia

Post by patricia »

Does anyone know whether all entrants have taken the test yet?

Is the same test throughout the academic year for children moving into the area?

If so, we cannot allow discussion of the test content.
inspired2win

St Olaves Exam 2009

Post by inspired2win »

I would be very surprised if anyone was sitting the exam in Janaury 2010.

Any reason why this was not a problem with the Kent question l asked last year with numerous responses??

Any reason why the moderator cannot call the school and ask?? This was the same response in Nov with no evidence.

Dear Moderator, can you paste the response after you confirm everyone has done the exam.

Thanks
inspired2win
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Dear inspired2win

Although I appreciate you are very keen to get information we do know that most schools do use the same test for all applicants in a given group. There are usually a couple of late sittings for those who were sick or just not able to make the date. In addition there may well be pupils who move into the borough during the academic year who can apply for late testing and it is likely that the school will use the same test.

Certainly at least one of the schools local to me will apply the test at any point during the academic year and place the applicant at the appropriate point on the waiting list if it is after national allocation day.

There is not surprisingly a reluctance to confer advantage to late applicants by discussing a test.

You are correct we do not know whether this particular school will use this test again. I am sure you do not really expect the moderators (all volunteers with jobs and lives :D ) to ring every school in the country to see if they will use their tests again. Although we will see if anyone has any local knowledge.

As moderators we try and be consistent across all the areas and not to miss any postings. We are, however, only human and may miss things.
Sally-Anne

Re: St Olaves Exam 2009

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi inspiredtowin
inspired2win wrote:Any reason why the moderator cannot call the school and ask?? This was the same response in Nov with no evidence.
Simply because we are not paid to do this job, nor are we paid researchers and nor are our phone bills paid!

We offer advice based on our individual and cumulative experience to date, plus the wisdom of others on this forum who are kind enough to supplement it.

Our office is staffed by two very hard-working and sometimes sorely pressed part-time staff, neither of whom consider themselves to be researchers either.

I do not wish to sound sarcastic, but surely you also have a phone, and also a very strong reason to want the answer?

Sally-Anne (Moderator)
doodles

Post by doodles »

Sorry Sally Anne - did not realise that there would be such late sitters or I would not have posted info. Apols again.
inspired2win

St Olaves Exam 2009

Post by inspired2win »

No big deal, there are various other ways of finding out, after all lots of kids sat the exams are still in school.

No need for this big story on the forum.

Just mere over reacting.!! as far as l am concerned.