Habs Girls....or.... St Albans Girls High School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest007

Habs Girls....or.... St Albans Girls High School

Post by Guest007 »

Because these 2 schools probably attract similar girls (and probably the same pool of girls), there must be many parents who are / have been torn between these 2 schools or have had to decide between the 2.

Of course this is at the risk of a massive presumption that one is fortunate enough to be required to make a such choice betweeen the 2 schools.

With very little time to consider between offer and acceptance letters, it is worth thinking about this beforehand. Or at the very least, could prove to be an interesting debate.

I am aware of the said "cull" used by St Albans before they "allow" girls to stay on into the 6th form - ie "at least 5A's at GCSE otherwise you are kicked out". I am not aware of such pressures at Habs Girls, but I may be wrong.

Does anyone have any personal views on which school they would choose / have chosen, and the reasons why
eg academics, pastoral care, bitchiness, bullying, pressures, cultural mix etc.

All view appreciated.
Daogroupie

some thoughts

Post by Daogroupie »

Both really great schools so I would say down to personal choice. Having said that Habs seems to be perceived as more academic and this is reflected in it's higher position in the league tables. This year twins who had gone all through St Albans prep from age 4 and live two streets away from the High School chose to move over to Habs for secondary. When you ask why the response seems to be that they were uber academic and thought Habs would be more challenging for them. St Albans is constrained by its city centre location, you have to move around the street to various buildings, Habs has its own private site. We are sitting both next week. We really liked the Head at Habs who seemed warm and friendly. The new Head at St Albans is very polished but seems to have ruffled some feathers, especially in the music department where the existing Xmas format for concerts was merged into one big concert this year. St Albans has a very strong local intake and the preo school takes over half the spaces. Does Habs have local feeder schools? I asked someone at Shenley and they only knew of one trying. I would think that sport is probably stronger at Habs because they have so much more space to use. Habs has a very strong Asian intake, probably over half. St Albans reflects the local area more. But none of these things may matter to you. Best thing is for you to decide what is important to you and then judge them accordingly.
hopeful5

Post by hopeful5 »

we looked at those two schools although didnt sit the exams. One thing to bear in mind is the journey time to the school. What time do they need to get the coach in the morning? How many children will be coming from your area?

Personally I wouldnt want to travel too far to go to parents evenings, attend concerts etc.
Soppy

Post by Soppy »

I see not many responses on this topic as yet.......

Good luck to :-

anyone going to the Habs exams tomorrow, and
anyone going to the St Albans exams on Friday

Maybe after the exams, this might generate a few discussions around comparing the 2 schools...... :)
fairydust2010

Post by fairydust2010 »

I would be very interested in views on this topic. There do not seem to be many parents with children at either on any boards
Rosie42

Post by Rosie42 »

I have boys so cannot comment on these schools personally but a friend with two daughters at SAHS is not very happy with the new Head Teacher who is placing a great deal of emphasis on games to the detriment (my friend believes) of other subjects. As I say, I have boys so no axe to grind but might be worth asking current parents what they think.

Rosie
splishy

Post by splishy »

Haven't looked at HABs for my dd as too far afield. Did look at SAHS though and liked it very much. I know several people with daughters there and they are all very happy with it. A current year seven parent says pastoral is very good and staff are very nurturing and have eased the girls in gently. My son is at St Albans boys which is also academic and seems to be a bit more rigid but it suits him v well. He's made 'friends' with some of the High School girls and they really are very articulate and lovely girls. Having said that I haven't sat my dd for SAHS as although she's a bright girl I think she needs to be in a slighly broader intake environment as she's not always consistent and can lose confidence if she doesn't do well. If I thought she'd cope well at St Albans I wouldn't hesitate. BTW, we thought the head was very impressive at the open day so horses for courses as they say!!
fairydust2010

Post by fairydust2010 »

With a daughter who is potentially going to SAHS I have done a lot of looking around and have read only good things about SAHS
Soppy

Post by Soppy »

This is a good time to try to get some discussion going on these 2 schools.

Does anyone have any views for those having to choose between these 2 schools - all view appreciated - good and bad.
fairydust2010

Post by fairydust2010 »

Have you places at these schools?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now